Why become a member? ×

La Bella Deep Talkin vs Low Tension

lobematt

I'm looking at buying some La Bella flats and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Deep Talkin set and the Low Tension set?

I've got Rotosound flats on my other P and they were pretty stiff and took a bit of getting used to. How low tension are the low tension strings? I don't want to enter Kala rubber string territory!

• Like 2

I've not tried any of the LaBella strings (to my own shame)
Has anyone had experience of comparing LaBella Low Tensions, to TI Flats? 
TI's are great strings IMO.... on some basses - but oddly, they don't feel quite "right" on a couple of basses I tried them on.

Sorry @lobematt - it appears I'm hijacking your thread - but hopefully, such things are always interesting..... to someone, somewhere lol ;) 

EDIT: I'm definitely curious to try some LaBella LTF's at some point

Edited by Marc S
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a cheap set of Olympic things off amazon to try and they were lovely, then I put a set of LaBellas on and they sounded and felt so different, really tight and rubbery, my 'ray sounds like an upright bass now. It's astonishing. I think they'll take a few years to calm down...

30 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

I think they'll take a few years to calm down...

They do take a while to play in, I’d say you will notice the difference within a few months and then they just keep on getting better 🙂

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

They do take a while to play in, I’d say you will notice the difference within a few months and then they just keep on getting better 🙂

Well, they've been on a few months and it's had a fair bit of play but I kinda like it - it's really not a Bernard Edwards tone though, that's what it sounded like before. Now it's so tight it's like nothing else really. It's taken me a while to get used to it but yeah - it's very much its own animal!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

Well, they've been on a few months and it's had a fair bit of play but I kinda like it - it's really not a Bernard Edwards tone though, that's what it sounded like before. Now it's so tight it's like nothing else really. It's taken me a while to get used to it but yeah - it's very much its own animal!

Give cobalt flats a go on your stingray. They could be made for that bass!

Labellas on my P though like a decent person should

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ped said:

Give cobalt flats a go on your stingray. They could be made for that bass!

Labellas on my P though like a decent person should

Those strings are on that bass for life. I'm not paying that amount of money for a set of strings ever again. 

• Haha 2

I liked the tension of the LTF's, as I'm a big fan of the flexibility of La Bella tapewounds (which are probably mildly less tension than LTF's), but LTF's didn't feel right to me under my fingers, the guages were too thin for me, just felt a bit nothing'y.
I'm a huge fan of the 760FL or FS flats, best flats on the market IMO, if you're ok with the tension (which are comparable to Chromes in my experience)

Roto's I found to be waayyyyy too tight for me, eugh.

Si

• Like 1