Why become a member? ×

SOLD : Hayman 4040 Bass Sunburst
£1100
Uley, South Gloucestershire, UK

nationofzeros

For sale : Hayman 4040, sunburst - very good condition

Formed via a partnership between Jim Burns and Ivor Arbiter in 1969, Hayman made an eclectic British range of electrics in the early 1970, these representing the 'missing link' beween Burns Guitars and the later Shergold instruments. 

The flagship bass was the Hayman 4040, produced between 1971 & 1975. Designed by Bob Pearson with an obeche body & bound maple neck, the 4040 ploughed its own unique furrow compared to US basses of the time. 

This one is in the vibrant Hayman sunburst colour scheme, with a substantial transparent pickguard and perspex string holder. The 34" scale neck is bound with a comfortable C profile and low action, and the ultra rare embedded Hayman transparent headstock logo is present & correct, as are the unusual but very 'of its era' knobs & switchgear. The substantial bridge has individually adjustable multi-slotted saddles. Build quality and attention to detail is very good - a portent of the Shergolds to follow.

So far, so 1970s - but what really sets this bass apart from its peers are the amazing twin double-pole, staggered split 'Superflux' pickups, which as far as I am aware, were unique to the 4040. These are the most powerful units I have ever come across in a passive bass, and produce an amazingly rich & detailed tone, revealing all the harmonic content and overtones,  and showcasing the surprising sustain. The front pickup is snappy and authoritative with full and deep tone, whilst the back makes a marvellous counterpoint, rather like a richer Rickenbacker. Both sit on a floating plate, on top of the 'Vibrasonic' hollow central chamber which presumably plays an important part in all this. Hearing is believing !

As you can see, this 4040 has been used, but still presents well. Everything works. It looks cool hanging on the wall, but it demands to be played.

IMG_3916.JPG

IMG_3917.JPG

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_3928.JPG

IMG_3929.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3931.JPG

Edited by nationofzeros
Bass has sold
  • Like 11

Thanks for these comments / reminiscences. I got it out again last night & plugged in. The tone is a bit like a brighter version of the sound I get from a Thunderbird Bicentennial - just seems very rich & detailed across the whole  spectrum compared to more modern basses. Why - I dont know !

After a couple of cheapo starter basses, I bought a brand new Hayman 4040 (natural finish) from Sound City in 1972/3. New price back then was £148! I have great memories of that bass, I was in a Prog band (Artemis) and had that bass when we supported the likes of Camel, Egg and others. This pic is one of the few I have of me with the Hayman. GLWTS. :) 

sg-artemis1a.jpg.1091a1d00caca950ecbecfdd85a2217e.jpg

Edited by Stingray5
typo fix
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Woody1957 said:

That's a brilliant photo mate. A fantastic looking bass......what bass rig are you going through?? I can't make it out in the picture.

I'm loving the old school metal chairs in the background lol.

My bass rig back then was the HH IC100 head running into a 'back-breaking' Hi Watt 2x15 bass reflex cab. The chair was actually for me to sit on as, on some of our songs, I also played an Epiphone 12-string acoustic guitar and a set of bass pedals. (Not trying to do a Mike Rutherford/Genesis thing here.... much! ;) )

• Like 1

• MB1 locked this topic