Why become a member? ×

Studio One Artist - Version 5

Nail Soup

I currently use Studio One Artist (came bundled with some hardware)…… It's OK but can't you cannot add VST's to it.

There is an upgrade available to Artist Version 5 for about £42 which will give VST support.

Then I'll be able to add EZ Drummer or similar.

I don't really need any extra features beyond the VST support... does anyone know if the V5 VST support is any good, or if there are any issues?

• 2 weeks later...

One of my boys uses ST1 V5 (pro). VST is fine, just as it should be these days with any DAW, including VST3.

My boy went down the 'Sphere' route. He was starting from scratch, not using upgrades etc...

I must say, for just over £13 a month, you get an awful lot, including Notion 6 and all it's Instruments.

That DAW really has come a long way very quickly. I've been messing with it for a couple of days, it has a great workflow with the super fast drag & drop.

PreSonus Sphere | PreSonus

• Like 1

I've been looking at the "Sphere" option. IIRC you get about 30 months usage plus a load of extras for the same price as buying Studio One outright. Within that time frame I'd expect to have think about at least one paid upgrade if I went for buying outright, and if I find I'm not using it enough to justify the subscription I can always take a break until I do need it again.

OoI how often does the software "phone home" to check that you are still paid up? If I was to go this route it would be mostly for the live use facilities and a lot of the places where my band plays have limited opportunities to connect to the internet. Worst of all our underground rehearsal space doesn't even have any mobile phone reception!

• Like 1

My boy has to connect to the internet once a month for Sphere.. If he doesn't, then the software would deactivate until he does, assuming he is paying his monthly direct debit.

(a one off annual fee is slightly cheaper).

As it happens, he is connected all the time, so there hasn't been any problems. So, I should imagine it 'phones home' once a month, probably on direct debit day, or just after.

You could go down the crossgrade route for just ST1 5 Pro. 

On top of the usual crossgrade price, at the moment, there is an extra 25% off that for the next couple of days.

About $225.00 for a digital download. You get sent serial number(s). (I've used this site many times over the years - It's legit, with no extras on top, or any long delays)

JRRshop.com | Presonus Studio One 4 Professional Crossgrade

$164.00 for the yearly 'Sphere' pass. With the current exchange rates at the moment, a very good deal.

JRRshop.com | Presonus Sphere

Edited by lowdown

I've pulled the trigger and bought the upgrade. It was actually on discount for mothers day (the American one I guess) - 25%. I think it's still valid till tomorrow (10th).

Took hours to dowlaod all the budled stuff, but now I have it installed.

I've already added the one VST I already have (MT Power drummer which I got for my experiments with Reaper).

Not tried many features yet (and will probably never use a lot of them) , but one of the new effects, a channel strip seems pretty good.

But the main thing is that the door (DAW?) is open for VST's now.

A decent drum app is needed.... maybe EZdrummer.

Couple of 'negatives' ... I'll post them in a different post.

So to the negatives.

1 - The GUI on studio 5 fits poorly to the screen. For example th list of recent songs in the opening screen has fallen off the left hand side.

2 - Studio 5 version of Ampire comes with only one actual amp, but a few Cabs and the same pedals as the otehr versions. So I've lost about 15-20 amps.

Or maybe I'll go for that Fender pack someone here was mentioning ..........

Edited by Nail Soup

23 hours ago, lowdown said:

Have you download the Presonus Hub to collect any freebies available?

There should be more to Ampire than what you have.

I went to the presonus website (logged into my account) but those products are not listed.

I might be doing something wrong.... or could it be that it's only available to to Prime rather than Artist users?

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

I went to the presonus website (logged into my account) but those products are not listed.

I might be doing something wrong.... or could it be that it's only available to to Prime rather than Artist users?

Ah, okay. If the extras are there (my second screenshot) , they should be under 'Products' and then the third tab, 'Addons'.

They are not exclusive to Sphere, but may well be freebies that only come with the Pro version.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2021 at 17:48, Nail Soup said:

So to the negatives.

1 - The GUI on studio 5 fits poorly to the screen. For example th list of recent songs in the opening screen has fallen off the left hand side.

After messing around on my boys ST1 Pro a couple of weeks ago, I bit the bullet on a cross grade deal (Using my Nuendo License).

I got the above and Notion as well.

Today I just got round to installing ST1. After installing, and before doing anything else, I opened up the App.

The first thing I noticed was this (Screenshot 1) and remembered what you had said...

Is it the same problem?

1.JPG

Edited by lowdown
  • Thanks 1