Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender Made in Japan Limited Edition Traditional '61 Jazz Bass

grayn

I fancied another Jazz bass, so headed over to Promenade Music today.
I tried a number of basses in my price range, including a Marco N1 TFL, a Markbass MB JP Black Chrome
and an Ex Demo, Fender American Pro Jazz. 
Each one of them shone, in it's own way but the bass that came home with me was a MIJ Fender Limited 
Traditional 61, Jazz Bass.
Yes, it is a very conventional Jazz bass but when done well, that is a very good thing.
I particularly liked the 4 knob (2 x dual concentric) controls, with a volume and tone for either pickup.
The C profile neck is a pleasure to play and the vintage style pickups sound full and smooth, with a nice growl.
The quality of build and finish are excellent and the overall, traditional feel, sound and aesthetic make this
a great, passive bass.

A.JPG

C.JPG

• Like 14

That's a beautiful bass.  I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

During the first lockdown I bought a used Fender Flea Jazz bass.  I've only rehearsed with it so far so I've a long way to go to get used to the stacked knob arrangement.  So far, so good though.

Frank.

7 hours ago, machinehead said:

That's a beautiful bass.  I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

During the first lockdown I bought a used Fender Flea Jazz bass.  I've only rehearsed with it so far so I've a long way to go to get used to the stacked knob arrangement.  So far, so good though.

Frank.

I really like the controls, having separate tone knobs is ideal for me, as I like to roll the tone off a little on the bridge pickup, whilst keeping the neck pickup full on,  The only difference I would make would be to have one volume and a pan control, instead of two volumes.