Why become a member? ×

NUX Mighty Bass 50BT

skidder652003

I have one of their Mighty Plug practice amps >> https://www.nuxefx.com/mighty-plug.html
I have to say, it's bloody brilliant!
The effects are the same as the ones on that wee amp, as are the IRs, although there's only two amp heads.
It works great for just plugging in and playing, you can also sync it to your phone as a Bluetooth audio device and play along with whatever audio you have on there, you can even jam along with YouTube. And finally, it works as an interface for recording too, and it sounds really really good.

I am very much tempted by the MG-30 too!

Eude

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I - perhaps stupidly, in retrospect - bought myself a Positive Grid Spark 40, because they claimed it could handle electric and acoustic guitar and bass.  The bass options turn out to be very limited and, although it's not dreadful, my overall feeling about it is "meh". 

Gregor and Frank's review has given me GAS for this NU-X jobbie, I've got to say.  Very tempted.  Mind you, it's £216 on Thomann (and therefore above the £135 post-Brexit bureaucracy ceiling) and they don't expect to have it in stock for 15 - 19 weeks. I might have to try the Mighty Plug in the meantime.

EDIT:

Just been outbid on a Mighty Plug on eBay.  Damn! 😕

Edited by petecarlton
Update

On 27/04/2021 at 21:17, eude said:

I have one of their Mighty Plug practice amps >> https://www.nuxefx.com/mighty-plug.html
I have to say, it's bloody brilliant!
The effects are the same as the ones on that wee amp, as are the IRs, although there's only two amp heads.
It works great for just plugging in and playing, you can also sync it to your phone as a Bluetooth audio device and play along with whatever audio you have on there, you can even jam along with YouTube. And finally, it works as an interface for recording too, and it sounds really really good.

I am very much tempted by the MG-30 too!

Eude

Bought a "warehouse" Mighty Plug from Amazon the other day. Sounded great, app integration seemed good for editing sounds. No compressor in the effects list though, which I found a bit odd....

Unfortunately it failed in its primary function as the battery (or charging circuit) was goosed so it only functioned when hooked up to a charger - probably why it was for sale on the cheap from Amazon. Still undecided if I'll replace it, but Just ordered a replacement because as I say it sounded pretty good... But nobody buy a warehouse one in the next while because it'll probably be the one I just returned...

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been wondering about this amp too, since I saw that video and others. I don't mind the low power out, since that would be fine for practice use, with the option of going in to a powered PA speaker or system if more is needed live. Only three amp models, but they cover the main vintage & modern areas.

One point of concern for me: it uses a 28V external PSU. That's an odd voltage that would be hard to replace if it goes wrong.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I've just picked up one of these for a couple of hundred Aussie dollars. My first impressions are pretty good (I'm using this with an old Gretsch Synchromatic 1222).

Out of the box and bypassing all the fandangle wizardry it sounds at its best - and least muddy - to my ear (there's a switch on the back to bypass all the IR and effects stuff). I need to get my head around some of the effects and modelling - as with all these things it can tempt you to go full-hog with weird sounds you'll probably love for 5mins and hate for the rest of your life. Some of the amp modelling can sound muddy depending on the combinations you choose - going hard on the reverb can exacerbate this. The built-in drum tracks are a bit naff, but still a teeny bit more interesting to play along with than a metronome. 

It does pump out a fair amount of heft for a 6.5" speaker, but I'm not sure why NUX has left itself open to ridicule by calling something so small the 'Mighty' 50BT. That said, it is loud enough that I can get away with using this for a jam so longer as the drummer isn't an animal. There's always the DI out as well, so it would be a viable option for small gigs while also providing a fold-back. You probably want to just load up your tone and use that rather than buggering around with changing all the modelling during a gig though. I could record it mic'ed up if anyone out there is interested (all the demos I've seen go through the DI).

This leads me to a question for anyone who has one of these: Is there a trick to getting the looper pedal to work? I've tried it on passive and active modes, powered and unpowered, with the bluetooth thing on and off, and the amp just isn't responding to stimulus. The pedal itself works on a different guitar amp for channel switching. The looper from the app works, but it's pretty useless without the footswitch as you have to stop playing to use it. I'm wondering if I've got a unit with a faulty footswitch jack socket. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Edited by TheLadGomez

• 6 months later...

Hi

I'm considering the NUX BT 50 as I need a battery driven amp (we have a lot of load shedding in Saouth Africa)  Why does the ext PSU socket say 28V?  This is non standard I would have expected 24V - perhaps they mean its the abs max that can be connected?  Assuming average volume level (I'm playing against an un miked piano)  How long would I expect the internal battery to last -  2hours maybe?  Will it run off a 12V car battery but at a lower volume?