Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Evo II 500 pot. needed ~

David Nimrod

I have a lovely Ashdown ABM combo, the amp. in it is the Evo II 500.

However, the pot. behind the Sub-Harmonics knob is now knackered.

Does anyone know the spec. of it, and where I could get one (Ashdown, or is it generic..?)

I'm no expert, so any info would be great... Thanks!

_DSF0969.JPG

Exactly my reason to choose Ashdown 

They have great products at affordable pricing and perfect for gigging and studio

Based in Essex they offer fast and helpful backup and service long after most typical manufacturers warranty run out.

I was a long time Ampeg user many years back but for me Ashdown is just better in so many ways 

• 1 month later...
On 28/04/2021 at 06:47, David Nimrod said:

UPDATE:

Guy at Ashdown has not only put the correct Pot. in the post,

But also supplied the Schematic PDF, and talked me through the replacement procedure...

All at no charge... So, THANK YOU ASHDOWN, this is customer service above and beyond!

Did you get the amp repaired? Does it now work properly? :D

On 29/05/2021 at 20:57, BassmanPaul said:

Did you get the amp repaired? Does it now work properly? :D

It's proving to be a bit of a saga...

The repair is being carried out by an experienced tech, who, on starting work, found that several of the knobs had been superglued onto the pot. shafts, necessitating breaking them off, to enable the removal of the 'board behind...

So, I called Guy at Ashdown, wiht a shopping list of knobs, pots. etc... His comment was along the lines of 'how can people do these things to our lovely amps..?' How could we disagree..?

Anyway, I await the expanded order, and when it arrives, the long suffering tech. will once again attempt the repair...

Moral of the story:

1). Gear gets bodged, and when buying secondhand, anything may be found...

2). Good quality gear (like this ABM 500) is definitely fixable, primarily because it was properley Made in England in the first place.

3). Ashdown are the tops, and Guy deserves a special mention. So buy your bass gear from them, but the domestically produced stuff would be my choice...

Edited by David Nimrod
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ashdown amps in my experience are very repairable. They are well designed from the outset. I'm sure there have been several quotes stating 'a quality instrument or amplifier is easily repairable'. Ashdown would breeze the 'right to repair' laws that are due to come into force in the near future. ABM's are also a breeze to work on and repair. Not much goes badly wrong with them. My most recent repair was a 23 year old ABM400( see below). All it needed was a new pre-amp volume pot, a replacement valve, a quick clean and it was good as new. The china made ones aren't all that bad either ( EvoII/III models). Not to mention MAG's and EB's. They are also very easy to fix. I hope your ABM gets the love it needs to gig again. 

IMG_0533.jpeg

• Like 2

That’s a nice sight for a repair tech, plenty of room and parts replaceable without a microscope.

I wonder what the Ashdown RMs are like to fix? I assume they are almost entirely surface mount with a single board class D power amp/power supply in the middle?

• Like 1

I don’t know about how the insides are configured but they can be fixed as I had a problem with mine. Rather ironically when engaging the mute switch it squealed like a Telecaster leaning up against a Marshall full stack on full volume/drive. Took it to Ashdown who sorted it within a few days, was advised that they build all their amps so that they can be repaired rather than needing to be replaced.

• Like 3