Why become a member? ×

"I'm no David Beckham" - bass version

Nail Soup

When people wanted to say they were OK but not great at football they could say "well, I'm no David Beckham, but......" or similar. That name would be widely recognised  to equate to "a good footballer", even amongst non-football fans.

Is there a bass player whose name you could use in the same sentence structure and would be similarly recognised? 

(Not just know the name like Paul McCartney, but know they are a bass player)

Or is bass just too far outside the public consciousness?

"Well, I'm no Bernard Edwards" anyone?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

I reckon Flea would be the guy to fit this bill. He is the biggest household name bass player I can think of. 

Good one.... but due to his choice of name you'd have to contextualise it by mentioning bass.

Otherwise they might think "I'm no Flea" means "Well, I can jump quite high"

😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Nail Soup said:

Good one.... but due to his choice of name you'd have to contextualise it by mentioning bass.

Otherwise they might think "I'm no Flea" means "Well, I can jump quite high"

😀

That's very true, I'm not sharp enough to think on that level. I would just say that and wonder why folk were looking at me funny.

I once asked the 6 people in my office if any of them could name any  bass players at all. None of them could, even though one of them was married to a drummer and regularly went to gigs.

They couldn't name the bass player in any of the bands they professed to like.

Some of them had heard of Lemmy, Suzie Quattro and Phil Lynott but had no idea that they played bass. They weren't even sure about Paul McCartney.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

These days among footy fans / amateur players  I'd have thought they're more like to say 'I'm no Messi / Ronaldo' . Anyway pedantry aside, I can't think of any guitarist, let alone bass player, whose name would trip off the tongue of the average person in the street. I mean, even Hendrix means next to nothing to millennials and non-rock fans

Edited by Barking Spiders

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

These days among footy fans / amateur players  I'd have thought they're more like to say 'I'm no Messi / Ronaldo' . Anyway pedantry aside, I can't think of any guitarist, let alone bass player, whose name would trip off the tongue of the average person in the street. I mean, even Hendrix means next to nothing to millennials and non-rock fans

That's sad but true. Maybe Eric Clapton or Ed Sheeran would be a more widely known guitarists than Hendrix, even amongst millennials.  As for bass players, maybe Sting might be well known? I bet the same difficulty in choosing a keyboard player or drummer may apply, kids these days only seem to know the lead singer of the latest boy band who's been hogging the front page or tweeting the most.

1 minute ago, BassedinBucks said:

That's sad but true. Maybe Eric Clapton or Ed Sheeran would be a more widely known guitarists than Hendrix, even amongst millennials.  As for bass players, maybe Sting might be well known? I bet the same difficulty in choosing a keyboard player or drummer may apply, kids these days only seem to know the lead singer of the latest boy band who's been hogging the front page or tweeting the most.

Followers on Instagram are an important metric. My kids were deciding on who to see at a festival and ruled out some old codger called Lionel Ritchie as they had never heard of him and his number of followers was not high enough 😜

• Like 1