Why become a member? ×

Started playing bass in my 50’s.

David B

Mid 50’s, played drums in a covers band many years ago, been playing guitar for the past few years as a passable rhythm player but no talent for the twiddly stuff.

I actually bought a bass a few years back but I never got around to playing it and I am still trying to track it down after it went out “on loan” (not making that mistake again).

An unfortunate lockdown gardening incident last summer gave me a badly cut finger. While it healed I was unable to play guitar so I borrowed my brother’s Squier P bass, which he got for his 21st back in 1992. It was in good condition but the bridge was badly pitted so I changed it for a Fender high mass bridge. No change in tone to my ears but looks and feels much nicer, was not expensive and is a straight swap.

Bought a Blackstar Unity 120 during one of their special offer weekends and with an added shop discount I got it for £189 delivered ( to the Highlands). Frankly a bargain and I got lucky picking it up for not much more than a decent practice amp. My son and I have 4 Blackstar guitar amps between us so I felt confident that it would be a good buy. Small, light and enough output for a loud practice.

Similar to my guitar playing, the twiddly bits are beyond me but I now have a 7 hour Spotify playlist of songs that I can play along with. Most recent are Living After Midnight and Cat Scratch Fever. I like my classic rock/metal with a bit of skate punk thrown in. I’m certainly not note perfect but close and certainly passable in a jamming/pub band context. I try to be realistic about the extent of my musical talent, my musical CV relies mainly on enthusiasm and reliability.

My new neighbour is a drummer so hoping to get a jam post lockdown.

Looking ahead, I want a mid priced (£500 max, I think), passive bass to call my own. I do like the simplicity of a P bass although I wonder if a PJ may cover a bit more in terms of flexibility for the future.

I have been a lurker here for a few months. Decided to join when it became obvious that it was a very good natured, helpful and very knowledgeable site. Also a few funny threads along the way which appealed to my sense of humour. I’m too old and grumpy for sites where everyone is at war with each other - life’s too short for that nonsense.

• Like 2