Why become a member? ×

Ssshh..but who here is first and foremost a drummer?

Barking Spiders

A key reason I like playing bass, particularly funk/slap   - and the much despised (on BC anyway😁) Mark King style - is because it's like a portable and convenient way of drumming when you haven't got the time or space to set up a full kit to practice on. Since divorce #3 I don't live in a home large enough to have a kit permanently set-up so since then I've been playing a lot more bass and practising on a muted snare but now have acute non-drumming withdrawal symptoms, made more so by lockdowns. Any other drummist chomping at the bit to get back behind a kit?

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

Percussion (latin / afro / reggae / funk etc) is my main instrument, then drum kit. Then guitar, then bass. I haven’t played my drums in 6 months ‘cause I’m temporarily living in an apartment in a very quiet area. So I’ve been playing a lot more bass too, albeit quietly. But I’m still playing brushes and sticks on a practice pad most days. Can’t wait to get back to it proper, though.

Not primarily a drummer but I've played drums since the mid-90's. I started playing because my mates and I wanted to start a doom band and couldn't find anyone who wanted to play slowly 🙂

I found playing drums changed my perception of playing bass, I'm a lot more conscious of what the drummer does with the bass drum in particular. It definitely changed my bass playing for the better.

I live in the sticks so am fortunate to be able to play an acoustic kit as I please. Being able to play during the lockdown has been a good thing, few things are as therapeutic as beating the bejesus out of drums 😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I live in the sticks so am fortunate to be able to play an acoustic kit as I please. Being able to play during the lockdown has been a good thing, few things are as therapeutic as beating the bejesus out of drums 😁

Damn right! I love playing bass but it doesn't give me that level of catharsis I get from pounding the skins along to Ace of Spades

Yup, me. Played drums for 20+ years, only played bass seriously for the last couple of years (though dabbled for a while before then). I’m lucky enough to have a practice space so not having withdrawal but I am really missing playing with other people!

Drumming was my bag before i took up the bass.  Many gigs under the belt,  but  bass is so much more satisfying, so i found out.

Up until a couple of years ago,  i still had a pop on the tubs now and again at our local Sunday  jam at Fat Lils.  @FinnDave knows the venue i speak of

• Like 1

I started on bass (after an unsuccessful start on guitar) in early 80s but took up the drums in 1985. I was a drummer for the next 8 years although I regularly played the bass as well. Then a band I joined just wasn't working. We all played other instruments so advertised for guitar, bass, drums or keyboards. We got a drummer, so I went to bass, bass to guitar, guitar to keyboards & keyboards stuck to vocals. It gelled instantly.

The next band I joined was on bass - for 20+ years - and I didn't play the drums again until about 5 years ago but I'm back on the bass again now.

My father was a pro drummer in the 60s so the moment (at the tender age of 8) I expressed an interest in drums, I suddenly had brushes, sticks, bongos, a snare and a tom. I was signed up for the local brass band but wouldn't take instruction from my Dad and nobody in the brass band could play drums. I got disillusioned and quit. When I got into bass my father's initial reaction was that it wouldn't stick. Looking back I can tell you, I am definitely not a drummer! :D

I'm not first and foremost a drummer anymore, but my primary instrument was drums from about 1988 until pretty recently. I've only made the transition to bass over the last 3-4 years, and I now consider myself primarily a bass player. I don't even own a drum kit anymore.

I recorded all the drum parts for our latest album (which was recorded two years ago and came out last week), and I suspect that this may have been my final proper appearance behind a drum kit for the foreseeable future. We've now found a permanent drummer who's about ten times better than I ever was, so it all worked out 😄

I made the transition for two reasons:

1: Having a family and living far away from our rehearsal spaces made it impossible for me to play drums except at rehearsals. Even electronic drums make a lot of noise, and we don't have anywhere in the house where I could set that up and not disturb everyone. With a bass and a little home studio setup I can jam quietly whenever I want.

2: I found out that bass is awesome. Coming from both a guitar and drums background, I feel I have the best of both worlds. I know how a fretboard works, and I know how to play rhythm and groove. I'm loving it.

Edited by Naigewron
  • Like 1

Ha yeah I'm mainly a drummer, busted.. anyone want to jam??

Totally understand about the lockdown bass thing.. I grew up playing drums with people, so not being able to gig and play with people over this last year has been a bit dry, whereas I'm having a lot of fun learning bass and playing along with records.

Caroline

Well, the reason I started playing in the band aeons ago ( I'm not in a band anymore) was me constantly tapping with hands and feet to music, metal genre that is. So they asked me to join a band that neither of us had any instruments and no ability to play an instrument. My addiction to Maiden made it clear I'm a bass player. So never played drums in a band ,only on occasional practising sessions and during  sound checks. This week , fast forward 30 plus years I bought my first drum kit, none of that electronic nonsense ( sure they sound  great), the proper old school drum kit. Eventually , I'd like to give ez drummer some rest and play all instruments in  songs I record myself.

I was a drummer for years, playing in a rock/punk covers band. We gigged regularly and then I relocated through work. I have had regular jams in my new location but nothing that really got off the ground. My drumming fizzled out, played guitar, injured my finger and ended up on bass since last summer. I have no neighbours who are too close so I can let rip when it suits and play a bit of everything depending on my mood. It is certainly the case that my drumming background helps me to lock in with the beat when I am on bass. My son is a guitarist so we can jam in our family bubble with YouTube backing tracks to accompany us.