Why become a member? ×

CD Player technical problem

Jazzjames

Hi everyone,

Not really bass related, but I’m not a member of any audiophile forums so maybe an amp expert or similar can shed some light on my issue.

I have an old NAD 5240 CD player and it takes 10-20 minutes to warm up before it will work. For the first 5 minutes there’s no sound, then it starts to come to the amp, but it’s very distorted, and gradually the distortion fades and then it sounds good and works as normal.

During the warm up phase it’s def playing the CD. I’ve ruled out the RCA cables, and I’ve tried the fixed and variable outputs and it’s the same issue with both outputs.

Any idea why it may be doing this? I opened it up today and there is some soot/discolouration on the inside of the case above where the puts are and in a couple of areas. Nothing on the board looks obviously burned out. Once the CD player is running properly it’s a little warm above those areas (case on) but it’s not hot.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

James

45 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

My first guess would be the filter capacitors in the power supply. Electrolytic capacitors degrade over time and start to behave more like resistors i.e. they dissipate heat, which a healthy capacitor will not do.

Thanks for the reply! Sounds about right.  I’ll look into it and see if there’s a diagram etc. Normally NAD have pretty well written service manuals and even a relative idiot like me can work out what’s what.

On 27/04/2021 at 12:45, BigRedX said:

Or a dry joint somewhere that requires the device to warm up in order for it to make reliable contact.

Good call. I’ll open it up and have a look. The NAD amplifier I use with the CD player had a few dry joints.  Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Any chance of resurrection on this thread as I’ve just bought this CD player off eBay and am experiencing the same issue (seller did say so all good) as you had. Did you manage to fix it?

It's not so uncommon that something has happened in the delivery. If there's a dry joint, the movement may have affected the PCBA. You can use a wooden/bamboo chopstick to test components. Put the CD on and touch components. Any crackle in audio may indicate a dry joint.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2024 at 23:20, ArLima said:

Any chance of resurrection on this thread as I’ve just bought this CD player off eBay and am experiencing the same issue (seller did say so all good) as you had. Did you manage to fix it?

I ended up selling it (with the issue clearly advertised). Couldn’t find any obvious dry joins or any components that looked worse for wear. It’s a very old CD player now, it did well to make it that far!