Why become a member? ×

Best secondhand basses under 300

CDLT

Another to add to the mix, and often overlooked (wrongfully!) is the Vintage (brand name) Reissue, better pickups and hardware than Sire, Squire and alike. They come in lots of colours, even have a roadworn range if you like that look.

They also have an "Advanced" range, which are also fantastic bang for buck, especially second hand.

pr54755bi18189_vj74mvw_vintage_vj74_bass

Edited by hooky_lowdown
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

My 424 sounds and feels like a Jazz?! 😜

Hah - good point! I'd completely missed that the OP was leaning towards a jazz bass.

But I guess putting a PJ in the mix to think about, is no bad thing - you've got a lot of bases covered (excuse the pun) with that config!

• Like 1

Exactly, I saw one (Vintage V4) two years ago in a local second hand shop and despite hating everything about its looks, I had to try it. One of my favourite basses ever. Very lively and responsive, super easy to set up ridiculously low, sounds great. I'm selling my Nate Mendel because of it. 

17 hours ago, silentbob said:

Just saw this on Facebook Marketplace. Looks to be getting a lot of love and is in your price range.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BassPlayersMarketUK/permalink/4216569018354694/?sale_post_id=4216569018354694

Ooh it looks very nice, and within my price range, it's just far and I'm a bit reluctant to buy without checking it out with someone that knows their stuff. Thanks for sharing though, great find. 

10 hours ago, lownote12 said:

Then you can start a new info avalanche by asking for advice on amp/cab buying lol. To save you asking, probably the same money again, ish, but prices can vary easily from £150 to 10x as much. You need 100w absolute minimum and if you end up gigging at some stage, ideally 2-300w +.  If you're no longer young and fit lightweight kit is available but generally costs more.There's no Sire of the amp world; there are many brands, each with their supporters. Ashdown heads and cabs have much love on here and are cheap 2nd hand and easy to fix if they go wrong, but are on the (manageably) large and heavy side. Sorry, I know this is the Basses not Amps n Cabs thread but just thought I'd say like.

Appreciate the extra info! I have one of my old man's on the way but it's apparently pretty old so may need an upgrade at some point 😛 

Thanks for even more recommendations. Starting to see quite a few possibilities now and it's probably just a case of pulling the trigger... definitely open to a PJ, sounds like there's plenty of love for them here :)

11 minutes ago, CDLT said:

Thanks for even more recommendations. Starting to see quite a few possibilities now and it's probably just a case of pulling the trigger... definitely open to a PJ, sounds like there's plenty of love for them here :)

Sire do a very decent PJ as well: the P7 Mk2. A used one would be almost within your budget - worth stretching a little if you need to - I think you should be able to pick a very good quality used one up for around £350. It's a LOT of bass for the money and a fantastic first bass IMO.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3