Why become a member? ×

Perception of quality

DiMarco

4 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Hi Ed. I know people who work in Disability Awareness, can you let me know which bars are using the disabled toilets like this?

ta.

Hey! I don’t think it warrants the investigation at this point since that particular ‘venue’ closed down years ago. But I do agree with the point you’re making nonetheless. I actually asked at the time what was going to happen if somebody required the facilities, such as they were, and was informed that the toilet was out of order so couldn’t be used anyway.

I could equally have picked any one of a number of other inappropriate, dirty or dangerous cubbyholes... we’ve been expected to stash gear in communal bin stores, disused greasy kitchens, 3-phase distribution and gas meter cupboards, riser cupboards with scalding hot pipes in them and filthy janitorial supply closets with wheely-mop-buckets full of whoknowswhat in the corner. The one time we got a dedicated store with a locked door, it was a code lock with the code written on the wall next to the door.

I guess I was just saying that I play very few gigs well suited to a multi-thousand-pound bass, no matter whether or not I can perceive the difference in quality 🙂 

• Thanks 1

We should realise that our basses only have an interest for us and no one else.

Everyone else is only interested in what we play.

I could get by with a £50 bass, but I don't have to. Instead I have bought 2 basses that are amongst the best I have played. None of my bands care a jot about that. They do appreciate the lightweight cabs though. I've been complimented on those many times at 1 am.

• Like 4

In my very limited experience I think perception can equal reality, I used to own an Indonesian made Sterling bass which was Ok but then I traded it for a considerably more expensive  Musicman Bongo which just feels a lot tighter and more precise.

Of course if you shell out a lot of money for something  you really want to believe that item is better, so sometimes wishful thinking can be a factor.

It may be irrational but I usually assume that if it's cheap there must be something amiss. But what puzzles me is people who have collections of multiple expensive guitars that they hardly ever play.

40 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yamaha? 

The only Yamaha’s I have played have been a little modern in their styling for my tastes ( nice to play though) apart from an Attitude which I really liked but suspect was a couple of grand!

2 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

The only Yamaha’s I have played have been a little modern in their styling for my tastes ( nice to play though) apart from an Attitude which I really liked but suspect was a couple of grand!

Aha ok - so which brand / model were your fav £500 Indonesian basses?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Aha ok - so which brand / model were your fav £500 Indonesian basses?

I had a Sterling Ray34 that I really liked and having recently tried a Lakland PJ am very tempted..(bit over my budget to date though).

Edited by tegs07

10 minutes ago, chris_b said:

We should realise that our basses only have an interest for us and no one else.

Everyone else is only interested in what we play.

I could get by with a £50 bass, but I don't have to. Instead I have bought 2 basses that are amongst the best I have played. None of my bands care a jot about that. They do appreciate the lightweight cabs though. I've been complimented on those many times at 1 am.

I think that's 90% right, but sound engineers may want you to turn up with a Fender P etc. simply 'cos it's what they're familiar with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I think that's 90% right, but sound engineers may want you to turn up with a Fender P etc. simply 'cos it's what they're familiar with.

. . . . and some band leaders may also put their 2p worth in!!! Then again a different set of rules apply if you join a tribute band.

I have  Japanese Fenders Mexican Fenders and American Fenders. I also have a Squire bass.My go to gigging basses are the American Fenders. Why is this? I think the American ones have that certain gravitas. I mean I know they sound good but so do the others. It's just if you bump into another muso you have street cred. Plus you know you have the weight of  a mighty American Standard behind you.

• Like 1