Why become a member? ×

Best Wireless System?

dand666

2 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

sort of fuzzy, but similar to how a CD sounds when it's skipping.

A hard cut, or like a fm radio cutting in and out? Digital would hard cut, analogue will get the fuzzies. Im guessing that this unit is analogue if the drop outs are not hard cuts.

7 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

A hard cut, or like a fm radio cutting in and out? Digital would hard cut, analogue will get the fuzzies. Im guessing that this unit is analogue if the drop outs are not hard cuts.

According to website given for purchasers in the USA, they are digital:

https://westshellinc.com/products/swiff-ws-50-wireless-guitar-system

3 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

According to website given for purchasers in the USA, they are digital:

https://westshellinc.com/products/swiff-ws-50-wireless-guitar-system

It's just so odd.

Long Distance Transmission: this wireless guitar system adopts 24bit/48kHz sampling frequency, 30-16KHz frequency response range, and can reaches a 164ft long transmission range, without signal loss and no lag, instant fidelity, drastically pure the tone, delay<1ms

<1ms would make it the market leader. But this could mean just the transmission element with out the 2xDAC processes. But even the <= 2ms latency (to include the DAC conversions) is mind blowing for the price. I'm not saying it's not possible... but I'm certainly skeptical. And the cramming in of 100 frequencies - I'm know that's possible if you are taking up a large amount of spectrum, but 863-865 (which is what I assume that it's using), is not a large amount of spectrum. So it could be true - but running them in the UK could be highly illegal if they are not in 2.4, 5 or 863-865 portion of the spectrum. It makes no mention of shared mic license... and trying to mass produce wireless for non 2.4 or 5 for worldwide use... well, it's not going to fly... from a legal viewpoint.

Oh hang on - in one of the pics it says 500-940 - which would explain the 100 channels... but would also make it highly illegal in the UK from a radio broadcasting point of view

The amazon questions section makes for entertaining reading. So many numbskulls.

The mind boggles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Whats the jack look like on the Elrick. Lets see if we can identify it so we can look at it's construction and attempt to figure out what is unique about it that causes this drop out.

Here you go... 

DSC_1996.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, bassfan said:

I’ve put a wanted add up but, if anyone has a Shure Glxd16 they are not using. Give me a shout. 👍🏻

Not cheap! 

2.4 Ghz - I thought I read earlier in the thread that was sub optimal, but I'm not entirely clear from the comments what is "optimal"!

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Not cheap! 

2.4 Ghz - I thought I read earlier in the thread that was sub optimal, but I'm not entirely clear from the comments what is "optimal"!

Channel 38 (license), 5 Ghz (no license, more free spectrum, less range, less ability to pass through obstructions), and then channel 70 (no license, limited, noisy spectrum and likely to be analogue) and 2.4 (no license, higher chance of interference from wifi and phone pinging) kinda share the third place.

It may be the case that 2.4 does you - but do carry around a cable as a get out... and remember, what works in soundcheck may not work when the punters arrive. Again, your mileage may vary depending upon the gigs that you do.

For example, I have had wireless systems on 2.4 and 5 both be completely useless because the stage was a huge metal construction, with loads of metal pillars, cross braces etc... and they just wouldn't work.

Mikes shout about an analogue Sennheiser EW100/300/500 on channel 38 is perhaps a cheaper entry point into a more robust signal... but then you do have a compander in play... but Sennheiser's is amongst the best there is. If you don't know what a bad compander does, think lack of bass, harsh treble and usually lots of hiss and fizz. Sennheisers are about as cable sounding as you can get from an analogue system, to the point where nobody would ever notice it on a gig.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I thought the advantage of the Shure system above other similar ones was this:

Solid signal

LINKFREQ Automatic Frequency Management continuously scans for open frequencies and seamlessly switches before dropouts can stall the show.

There’s only 3 truly intermod channels in 2.4ghz. Yes you can change to other frequencies within the spectrum - but outside of those 3 channels you are subject to interference, with a higher chance of drop out and limited range.

But there is a way of getting around this. Put some marketing blurb out about switching frequencies... and give it a suitably cool sounding techy name.

Most, if not all, 2.4 systems should have frequency switching in place, as the chances are that channels 1, 6 and 11 are already going to be covered by nearby wireless devices. (Pretty much every WiFi router will detect the least noisy channel out of the 3 and pounce on it)

54 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

There’s only 3 truly intermod channels in 2.4ghz. Yes you can change to other frequencies within the spectrum - but outside of those 3 channels you are subject to interference, with a higher chance of drop out and limited range.

But there is a way of getting around this. Put some marketing blurb out about switching frequencies... and give it a suitably cool sounding techy name.

Most, if not all, 2.4 systems should have frequency switching in place, as the chances are that channels 1, 6 and 11 are already going to be covered by nearby wireless devices. (Pretty much every WiFi router will detect the least noisy channel out of the 3 and pounce on it)

The Line 6 does have the ability to switch channels, but as far as I know, it's manual, not automatic, which sounds like the only advantage that the Shure system has over the Line 6.

I'm still confused as to what the best wireless system is 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The Line 6 does have the ability to switch channels, but as far as I know, it's manual, not automatic, which sounds like the only advantage that the Shure system has over the Line 6.

I can probably give you the best options... but it depends if cost is a factor.

In reality, there is no best. It just what works for you with compromises that you can live with - at the cost you are willing to pay.

Edited by EBS_freak

13 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I can probably give you the best options... but it depends if cost is a factor.

In reality, there is no best. It just what works for you with compromises that you can live with - at the cost you are willing to pay.

I think the Op had a £400 budget. 

I’d be interested in your opinions on a few though top end, mid range and Budget. 

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It’s the Shure system mate, it’s magic! I’ve tried most and this is just better at everything 

• Thanks 1

On 22/06/2021 at 16:19, bassfan said:

I think the Op had a £400 budget. 

I’d be interested in your opinions on a few though top end, mid range and Budget. 

Top end of my list, 1000 quid and up - would be Axient, ULX-D, and QLX-D. The sensible choice would probably be the QLX-D as the additional features found in ULX-D and Axient are probably way beyond the needs of most. If you are up for spending Axient money, throw the Sennheiser 9000 and Lectrosonics into the mix.

Higher mid range: I would be looking at Shure SLX-D (Digital on ch 38)

Lower mid range: I have a Line 6 G55 - and it's mostly been OK. The pack is metal, it's pretty robust and has mostly been ok in most typical venues. My OH now uses for it a headset when she took spin classes (pre covid). In the gym, it's always been solid. I've taken it on stages where it has drop outs... and similarly, in some hotels (especially those big ones that serve as conference centres). To be honest, all 2.4Ghz systems that I have tried, are all the same if you have a poor surrounding environment. It's the constraints of physics... if there's already RF in that area, you are already compromised when it comes to deploying wireless. So if I was looking at 2.4Ghz, I would be looking at channels (just keep praying and hope one of them works) and make sure the latency figure is low. And the problem is further compounded if you need to deploy lots of wireless.  To escape the latency issues and 2.4 RF issues, if you can find one used, the EW300 G2/G3 is a good offering - but is analogue... but is about as good as analogue gets (they really are superb) - and no latency! You could buy a EW300 G4 new of course... but for the money, I would now be going for the Shure digital space.

To escape the 2.4Ghz, I would try and hunt down the 5Ghz StageClix offering.

Budget: Just pot luck it. I'd use a cable. Generally, because of the latency figures typically found on budget units, I'm not interested due to the cumulative latency (I'm an IEM user). If you can find something that works for you for a cheap price, then yeah, go for it - but don't be surprised if the latency is bad or the radio performance isn't great.

For info: I use EW500 vocal mics and QLX-D/ULX-D instruments. (IEM wise, PSM900 and EW300)

HTH.

To anybody reading this and planning on deploying a lot of wireless... you can't just buy a load of random wireless and expect it to work! The short version... if you want larger channel counts buy the same make and type of unit and use the preconfigured banks. 

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Line 6 G50 on the pedalboard that is rarely deployed and a Smoothhound which I use for most gigs (different bands). I also recently picked up a cheap bug type from Ebay - Muslady WP-1 which is a 2.4GHz unit. G50 - solid build, works well. Did have dropouts but that was when running it at low output. Smoothhound - no complaints except the annoying reversed polarity of the power supply. Muslady - seems to work OK. Got it for home and rehearsals so I didn't have a lead trailing around. Flimsy casing. I have yet to do a proper A-B test to check sound quality and latency.

24 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Yup, I think it's an ODM from the same manufacturer. I believe the G4M one has an integral rechargeable battery. But it doesn't come with a PSU like the Harley Benton. The HB has been great no drop out and pretty stable. I have not gigged with it so I really can not comment on a live venue environment. Good value for money.

31 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I managed to pick up a used Shure Glxd16, first impressions after 1 gig. I love it. Robust, looks good, love the battery indicator, doesn’t eat AA’s like my G50 and isn’t as bulky. Win win! 😃

I'm after the same now. Just playing the waiting game 😞

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bassfan said:

I managed to pick up a used Shure Glxd16, first impressions after 1 gig. I love it. Robust, looks good, love the battery indicator, doesn’t eat AA’s like my G50 and isn’t as bulky. Win win! 😃

Very impressed with mine. Sound quality excellent and any latency unnoticeable. The battery does last for hours and hours -  I reckon I can get 14-15 hours worth.  The connecting cable does seem rather flimsy though, compared to instrument cables.

11 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Very impressed with mine. Sound quality excellent and any latency unnoticeable. The battery does last for hours and hours -  I reckon I can get 14-15 hours worth.  The connecting cable does seem rather flimsy though, compared to instrument cables.

Mine had an additional connecting cable with it (designacable I think, neutrik  right angled jack) I’ve just ordered another just to be on the safe side  

I recall the cable that came with the G50 wasn’t all that good either so I got another made up.