Why become a member? ×

Best Wireless System?

dand666

I use a Boss WL20, depends what your priorities are, I chose that one because it doesn't need  a power supply when in use (both transmitter and receiver use rechargeable batteries) and both ends are the 'bug' types (saves messing about with the transmitter attached to your belt or the bass strap), never had any problems with it , but some say they've had trouble using it with active basses and the transmitter bug doesn't fit all bass sockets apparently

• Like 2

Let's make that 3 in a row then for WL-20 fans then! Using mine right now 😊

3 hours ago, dand666 said:

I've currently got the smoothhound but had nothing but problems with it. Any ideas on the best Wireless System out there? Ideally under £400. TIA

On a separate note sorry to hear you've got problems with your SH. I've used a couple over several years prior to switching to the WL-20s and was very happy with them. One unit (an earlier model) had noise issues, but Chris at Smoothoound, sorted that out for free for me even though I had bought it used. If you drop Chris a line, he may be able to sort yours out also?

Have to admit that the WL-20s are just ridiculously handy to use and very compact, and for both those reasons I'm happy I made the switch. But bear in mind that the WL-20s don't work for some basses with jack inputs on their front e.g. I can't use my WL-20s with my Ibanez basses and need to revert back to a normal old fashioned lead.

Edited by Al Krow

Has anyone tried a Line 6 G10S with active pickups?  Andertons have a note on the product page on their website to say that it isn't compatible however the guitarist is my band is using a G10S with active pickups without any issue.  

Would be interested to know if anyone has used this system with a Stingray Special or any other active pickup bass?

Like a stuck record whenever wireless comes up, I'm going to say the best for sub £400 will be a used Sennheiser G3 system. Rock solid professional kit that's still used on massive stages all over the world. Far, far better than the consumer level stuff. 

You'll often see it sold with just the belt pack, or with the belt pack and a lavalier mic. This is still the right system, and the guitar cable for the beltpack can usually be had for about £20. 

• Like 3

I used line 6 for ages and it was very good. Hardly any issues, a few drop out but nothing major bar one gig. I have recently changed to Shure GLXD16 system and it’s excellent. Not the cheapest but seems to be flawless atm.

13 minutes ago, walshy said:

I used line 6 for ages and it was very good. Hardly any issues, a few drop out but nothing major bar one gig. I have recently changed to Shure GLXD16 system and it’s excellent. Not the cheapest but seems to be flawless atm.

Same here - mines the one with the pedal board receiver/tuner. Brilliant kit but not cheap. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Muppet said:

Same here - mines the one with the pedal board receiver/tuner. Brilliant kit but not cheap. 

Yeah same. Bought an additional transmitter too. Not cheap but excellent bit of kit

On 24/04/2021 at 13:19, gazhowe said:

Has anyone tried a Line 6 G10S with active pickups?  Andertons have a note on the product page on their website to say that it isn't compatible however the guitarist is my band is using a G10S with active pickups without any issue.  

Would be interested to know if anyone has used this system with a Stingray Special or any other active pickup bass?

The G10S uses a TRS plug so it can charge in its base. Active basses use a TRS socket to switch on the active circuit when a lead is inserted. The two methods are incompatible and thus to make it work, you need to use a mono 1/4" adaptor or "mono to mono" extension lead. I've not tried it myself, but this is my understanding of electronics.  

Whilst I am here, has anyone done real-world latency tests on wireless units to verify what the manufacturers say? (I'd be more than happy to do the tests, I just don't have the systems to check!)

42 minutes ago, Dood said:

The G10S uses a TRS plug so it can charge in its base. Active basses use a TRS socket to switch on the active circuit when a lead is inserted. The two methods are incompatible and thus to make it work, you need to use a mono 1/4" adaptor or "mono to mono" extension lead. I've not tried it myself, but this is my understanding of electronics.  

Thanks Dan. Prior to seeing your reply I  bought a used G10S primarily for home use. I’ll try it with my active basses when it arrives and report back. If there is an issue I can either use it with the adapter or sell it for what I paid for it. Regards, Gaz

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mike257 said:

Like a stuck record whenever wireless comes up, I'm going to say the best for sub £400 will be a used Sennheiser G3 system. Rock solid professional kit that's still used on massive stages all over the world. Far, far better than the consumer level stuff. 

You'll often see it sold with just the belt pack, or with the belt pack and a lavalier mic. This is still the right system, and the guitar cable for the beltpack can usually be had for about £20. 

Are these ok with active basses? 

On 26/04/2021 at 12:06, gazhowe said:

Thanks Dan. Prior to seeing your reply I  bought a used G10S primarily for home use. I’ll try it with my active basses when it arrives and report back. If there is an issue I can either use it with the adapter or sell it for what I paid for it. Regards, Gaz

On 26/04/2021 at 11:19, Dood said:

I’ve just tried the G10S with my active basses (Stingray Special and a Status) and I’m glad to say that it is working as expected without any obvious issue.  I’ve not done a comparison with my Sennheiser wireless so I guess it will just be personal preference that decides which one goes on my pedalboard and which is for home use. 

52 minutes ago, gazhowe said:

I’ve just tried the G10S with my active basses (Stingray Special and a Status) and I’m glad to say that it is working as expected without any obvious issue.  I’ve not done a comparison with my Sennheiser wireless so I guess it will just be personal preference that decides which one goes on my pedalboard and which is for home use. 

I really appreciate the update, thank you so much! Good to know that it appears to work all ok! I don't need a wireless system... but... lol GAS!!!

• Like 1

Shure SLX-D14

Downsides

- not <£400, more like 600 quid... but hear me out.

Upside -

Digital (no compander that is associated with analogue systems)

Low latency

Not on 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz frequencies... a lot, lot, lot, lot likely to be interrupted by wifi, phones etc. <- This is the killer point

Discrete tuneable frequencies - more likely to play nicely with all the other wireless you may be using. <- This is another biggie

Changeable batteries - so not return to manufacturer when the inbuilt battery goes south

Can be used with lav mic if you ever need to...

If not this, and the 2.4 ghz digital offerings are giving you headaches, go with @mike257's suggestion of the Sennheiser. OK, it's analogue - so it's latency is the lowest - but it has got a compander... but it's about as transparent a compander as you can get! 

Of course, this is urging on the side of going more "pro" - a lot of people have no problem with the Line 6 stuff, Boss, etc... Your mileage may vary!

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 3

I have a Line 6 G10 which I use at home, its a bit flimsy and i certainly wouldnt use it on stage, but its ok for practise.

What I love about it is that if you forget to take the transmitter out it turns itself off after a few minutes, so when you pick up the bass a few hours later its still charged and you dont have a delay while you recharge it.

What I dont like is as the battery deteriorates, you cant get a spare,so you have to buy a new transmitter, nearly £100, apart from the cost its not eco friendly to have an item with a finite and relatively short life which cant be repaired,

I also have been using a stageclix wireless for some years, its tough as old boots, never let me down, and will recharge its transmitter when not in use.

Its digital, works on 5.8thingumis, apparently latency is 1.5  and never had any sign of interference. It was about £350 I think.

I changed the battery, cost me about £15

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for Boss WL20. I've been really impressed and can't really fault it. Easy to use, setup and simple to charge the batteries plus no faffing around with a head unit.

I've noticed the gain knob on my Markbass CMD121P doesn't seem to make much difference when using it (could be user error) but I'm assuming that's a digital thing and it's not a big issue.