• lurksalot
    • dad3353
    • Nicko
    • leonard smalls
    • lowdown
    • upside downer
    • Nail Soup

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/04/21 at 23:01

It’s time to listen through this month’s fine selection of toonage folks, based on the picture chosen by last month’s winner Mr Smalls ( and …. Ahem …myself!)

This picture then , chosen by Lenny himself, in his usual eclectic taste, offers a little insight into the image.

"A Zulu delegation who came over to the UK to honour those who'd fought at Rourke's Drift, one of whom was my great grandfather (whose grave you can see in the pic).."

.ZuluRourkesDrift.thumb.jpg.5e972a4e422e444ec48f49630bf29e2b.jpg

1.        @xgsjx

I took inspiration from the pic, listened to several Zulu songs & then got the vocal samples from Splice.  

2.       Lurksalot

I've gone for a simple tune this month , I couldn't really get my head around lyrics for it, so I've left it quite empty deliberately, but tried to get the feel.

3.       @Dad3353

A solemn occasion, so a sombre mood seemed appropriate, to commemorate the Fallen. A tribal tribute, with a military tinge, and weather to suite. Not really dance-hall stuff; more for reflection on the wisdom of taking the Queen's shilling, or following the Witch Doctor. Sad days for all; there are never any victors.

4.       @Nicko

I had to look up the battle and when I realised it was what the film Zulu was based on I couldn't get "My Name is Michael Caine" by Madness out of my head. That lead me to doing something vaguely inspired by the UK Ska sound - not sure whether I got there or not.  There are two famous paintings of the battle both called "In Defence of Rorke's Drift" which have both been criticised for glorifying empire.  I've tried not to make comment on the rights and wrongs of the battle.

5.        @Leonard Smalls

For some reason this made me think of all the tiny wars going on in our cities - where kids feel the only way they can survive is by carrying a blade...

6.      @lowdown                                          

I have always had a fascination with the defence of Rorke's Drift, along with the punch up over at Isandlwana earlier in the day and have read dozens of accounts, watched various

documentaries and generally, been curious about the whole episode that happened over those two days.  This goes back to when my Dad took me to see the opening of the film 'Zulu' in the West End, back in 1964.

KwaJimu' is 'Jim's Land' in the Zulu language..

7.       @upside downer

The title translates as "Thank you, my friend".

The few words are along the lines of "Hello again" and "Thank you", taken from an online English to Zulu site so I apologise if the quality of the translation isn't up to scratch.

8.     @Nail Soup

I abandoned early on any attempt to incorporate Zulu-based music. Also abandoned an idea to have a narrative based on Leonard's Great-Grandad's story. But two ideas did come to me ...... the "Zulu" in the phonetic alphabet and the reconciliation process which the UK and Zulu descendants have been involved in. These combined to lead me to the young persons word of apology, which in phonetic alphabet is Sierrra Oscar Zulu Zulu. Disclaimer: I didn't, and haven't, checked that those are the correct words for S, O or even Z! One word from Leonard's GGD's life story survives in the lyrics - Himalaya, the name of the boat he sailed to Africa in.

Well there we go , another fine selection 

Voting closes at Midnight on the 30th April , 

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Oh no..! :facepalm: It's going to be another bloomin' catastrophe..! Why, oh why, are all the compositions this month so good..? How to split the winners..? All those certificates..! Oh no..! :facepalm:

It’s a toughie , but if I stopped voting for the winners I might win one myself 😂

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Eight entries, but only five entrants have voted. xD

There's still time, of course. -_- 

It has been a very difficult choice this month - many entries are outside my normal listening sphere and too close to call.  I have voted for my favourite and everyone else gets a verbal commendation!

• Thanks 1

WOW , very exciting voting to the end there , such a close thing to the death with a very tight call to a worthy tie . 
A splendid entry which has obviously appealed across the BC voting massif and results in kudos due to @Leonard Smalls and @upside downer

I can offer no more than my congratulations , certification of the result may well be bestowed  by one who excels in this field, but I will cast my glance in the direction of @upside downer for the presentation of the visual stimulus to inspire the toonage that May transpire 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important News Flash...

Due to an unfortunate IT crash, the BC Certification Service is temporarily unable to function. :$  Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible; apologies are offered to the deserving victors.

Message ends. 

(Another long night of re-installing etc in perspective. Darned Windows Updates..! Grrr..! Just as well we have back-ups, but they should not be necessary. Grrr..! ¬¬ )

• Haha 1

S'not funny, my lad..! I need my beauty sleep..! (Not that it helps, of course, but still...).

The beggar for me is the Update messing up my composition stuff. I've gone back to a previous windows version from 2016, and removed its Update facilities. I'm now laboriously re-installing the folders, files and software, on this and my e-drum laptop. I didn't need the hassle. Thanks, Windows, but I've pulled curtains over your nosiness. Leave my working stuff alone..! ¬¬

Ah ok , I really don’t envy you that . 
I think I avoid as many updates as I can, but realise  that one day I will have to catch up/sort /reload this sort of thing , I think I’m lucky that I keep things simple , I keep the wavs safe 😁 

• Thanks 1

Important News Flash ...

Normal Service Resumes.

Message Ends.

And the joint winners are...

@Leonard Smalls and @upside downer ..!

x93SDBh.gif

Here, then, is your Winner's Certificate (download and save as pdf file, then proudly print and frame...) ...

BC_Chal_Cert_2021_04.pdf

... which looks like this (but bigger, of course..!)...

hFPXkha.png

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2