Why become a member? ×

Bass for bad back

Stealth

9 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Unless you really want a new bass, have you looked at strap options?  The Levys 3 1/2"- 4" straps take a weight and make my 9lb 10 bass feel way lighter. The Gruv Gear DuoStrap distributes the weight over both shoulders, and makes a huge difference if you're playing long sets. Alternatively, you could go all Anthony Jackson and play sitting down.

I totally agree with you except for the Gruv Gear DuoStrap as the pressure on the back of the spine, where it hurts the OP, will be exactly the same, so an item totally useless for what it's been described to do.... And except if you're are small and skinny, you'll end up with the bass under your chin and the twin strap almost strangling you...

The Ibanez EHB is the route to follow, or similar light and ergonomic basses. Headless instruments are way more ergonomic than any other (and lighter).

Now, you still didn't mention any budget as it is an important factor.

You can check the (expensive for a far East made instrument) Strandberg Boden basses or the Leduc basses as he certainly is a master luthier in building headless basses, but at a cost... Check the second-hand market.

That said, the new series of the Ibanez AFR is light and very ergonomic too, but you'll have to like the look.

Or ask a luthier to build one for you to your exact specs.

12 hours ago, NicoMcJ said:

Another vote for the Sandberg Superlight.  The newer Paulownia body ones are even lighter than the original Cedar models!

My cedar one was the first 5 in the UK and is well under 7lbs! Amazing if they’ve somehow made them even lighter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, Paulownia weighs nothing. Having said that, it does dent in a stiff breeze!

It’s also a complete f#%$er to paint and cracks nitro paint when the ambient temperature varies by 1degree C

I can't play/gig basses that are over 9lb(ish), age and a dicky shoulder don't appreciate it.  

£1500 is a cracking budget and you'd be able to pick and choose in the used market.  Getting something that fits aesthetically (if it matters) might limit your choices. 

A couple of basses not mentioned yet are 80's Warwick Streamer basses; I've got a Streamer just under 8lb that is superb and I'll never let go.  A bit more esoteric from Warwick is the Dolphin ProII bass, nearly always light weight and just a bit different.  I also own a Maruszczyk Jake PJ bass which is 7.5lb... stupid light for a trad Fender shape bass. 

Finally, short scale basses like the Nordy Cat, Danelectro Longhorn etc are all great basses at not a lot of money, which have the added benefit of altering your playing position which 'might' help your back problem... if you can go with the shape!