Why become a member? ×

Bass for bad back

Stealth

So after 40 years of toting mainly a 70s P bass the weight of an anvil tha old back is crying woah. Painkillers just about do it but that’s not ideal. The problem is lower back pain and unfixable so I need I lighter bass.

I play rock and heavier covers 2 hour sets so a semi isn’t really the “thing” presently I use a lovely heavy Lakland PJ and a PRS Kestrel (bit lighter) 

Any ideas out there?

1 hour ago, Stealth said:

The problem is lower back pain and unfixable ...

There'll be no shortage of people recommending basses for you. Without knowing your target weight and of course your budget, I can't make any helpful suggestions so I'll ask instead, why "unfixable"?

Are you talking slipped disks and crushed vertebrae here?

A proper semi can be light, like Jack Cassidy, though not all. Some with centre blocks weigh as much as a solid.  My 2013 Gibson EB is only 3.5kg, not bad for a 5 string. I believe the more recent models (the ones with longer horns) are also very light. Any of the chambered bodied basses e.g. Maruszczyk are light too.

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

There'll be no shortage of people recommending basses for you. Without knowing your target weight and of course your budget, I can't make any helpful suggestions so I'll ask instead, why "unfixable"?

Are you talking slipped disks and crushed vertebrae here?

Totally agree with you Jack.

I have a severe back injury too.

Weight is a thing, but ergonomics is another often forgotten.

I’ll second the Ibanez EHB basses. Yamaha is another good option for light weight, good sounding basses. That pretty much covers the 5-strings.  I also have a couple very light weight Fenders. It took many weeks to find the right basses. All of those weigh under 8lbs with the EHB and my Sandblasted Jazz at or below 7lbs. 

Depends on what you are looking for, My Ibanez EHB is the lightest of all of the basses (and probably the best), but the look is unconventional and if you are a P or J bass man, you might find it too far. I also have an Elwood L which obviously looks more conventional and is lighter than usual basses of its type with the chambering (and ultralight everything).

Unless you really want a new bass, have you looked at strap options?  The Levys 3 1/2"- 4" straps take a weight and make my 9lb 10 bass feel way lighter. The Gruv Gear DuoStrap distributes the weight over both shoulders, and makes a huge difference if you're playing long sets. Alternatively, you could go all Anthony Jackson and play sitting down.

• Like 1