Why become a member? ×

Naughty Warwick

BadBassDude

This all rings true. I've never managed to keep hold of any of the Warwicks I bought which were 2000-2008 which was down to either them having truss issues (not able to reduce relief) or I just couldn't get as comfy with the chunky neck profile. So they were all moved on.

I just have 4 Warwicks now but they are 1997, 1999, 2019 & 2020 and have slimmer profile necks and the truss rods function fine. Therefore they're keepers as I otherwise love Warwicks. It's a shame about the neck/truss issues.

Another thing I've noticed about necks from the 'bad' era is that often the neck laminates drift due to uneven expansion with humidity time and how they have been stored etc. The worst I had was a Streamer Jazzman where the headstock was literally splitting apart at the laminate joins and the back of the neck also felt uneven.

Hopefully Warwick have gotten over these issues, but by far and large the majority of used Warwicks on the market tend to be from the early to mid 2000s.

Edited by bassment73

• 2 years later...
On 07/05/2021 at 12:21, bagsieblue said:

Any progress BigBassDude?

Your 2000 Warwick will have the slim/weak/black truss rod.

Sadly, This is a known problem with Warwick basses  - my view is there is a disproportionately higher number of this type of failures with Warwick than against other brands.  

Of course, the removable / non removable rods ties in with the non volute / volute necks.  Volute was added to the neck to fix the common historic neck break problem and to give more strength at the nut.

I've had 5 Warwicks over the years with truss problems.  

4 of which I knew about before actually buying the bass.  I know of some others too that I've swerved buying for various reasons.  There was a Ltd Ed Blonde Thumb doing the rounds with a truss rod issue a few years ago - last I saw it was eventually parted out.  Plenty of stories online of Warwicks with duff truss rods too.

The reasons these can become a problem are:

Weak Truss Rod- Bad Design.

The rod is a softer metal than the nut - so overtightening strips the rod not the nut - Bad Design.

User Error - because of the two points above its easy to stuff things up when attempting a tweak, added to some people who must try with sheer brute force, using any old allen key / screwdriver / whatever to try and make adjustments.

That said - its not impossible to fix - amateur job on one of mine here - decided on an amateur job purely on cost, say £400 value on a Corvette so not much point in sinking in cracking on for a similar amount again for a pro job.

Though a NT thumb would worth more.

FB_IMG_1620385353442.jpeg

FB_IMG_1620385373312.jpeg

FB_IMG_1620385382198.jpeg

FB_IMG_1620385365959.jpeg

Are you able to reshare your photos? As they don't show up for me.

I have an issue with a broken truss rod and looking for info on replacing it (preferably with a custom one or one that's better made than the Warwicks!)

Mine snapped a few minutes after a very small turn which is very frustrating. Any idea why they stopped using removable rods?

1 hour ago, EmajBass said:

Are you able to reshare your photos? As they don't show up for me.

I have an issue with a broken truss rod and looking for info on replacing it (preferably with a custom one or one that's better made than the Warwicks!)

Mine snapped a few minutes after a very small turn which is very frustrating. Any idea why they stopped using removable rods?

Found the photos.

Not sure why the design change on the truss rod.

From memory, I think the truss rod end at the hell is a T section rather than a straight bar so it no longer slides in and out.

IMG_0686.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0688.jpeg

IMG_0689.jpeg

IMG_0690.jpeg

IMG_0691.jpeg

Edited by bagsieblue

3 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

Found the photos.

Not sure why the design change on the truss rod.

From memory, I think the truss rod end at the hell is a T section rather than a straight bar so it no longer slides in and out.

IMG_0686.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0688.jpeg

IMG_0689.jpeg

IMG_0690.jpeg

IMG_0691.jpeg