Why become a member? ×

To sell or not to sell ......

Guest MoJo

....that is the question. Shortly after picking up my Fender Rumble 500v3 and before having a chance to use it in anger, I bought the matching 210v3 cabinet. In the years that have followed, it has been to maybe three or four gigs and that’s not because I needed more volume, as anyone with a Rumble 500v3 will attest to, they are more than loud enough for any pub/club gig on their own. 
My allotted storage space for bass gear, at home, under the stairs is quite meagre to say the least, but it struck me as I was getting some gear out on Monday evening, if I sold the 210, I’d have room for two more basses in there. 
I know that many other Rumble 500v3 owners think the extension cab superfluous but I wondered if anyone regretted selling their extension cab and ended up buying another

Sell it.  With most people using good PA then if you need to be louder, d.i. your back line into the PA. Keep your amp for you to hear and put tone in but otherwise use the monitors to hear each band member, don’t rely on the back line for those on stage to hear, you probably never will.  This will also help you save your ears, less volume on stage means longer life for your ears. Tinnitus is no fun 👎

Don't sell it at the moment, unless you're desperate for funds. Money is tight, few if any have gigs and you won't get the best price. Wait until the world has returned to some semblance of normality. Given that a 2x10 is hardly enormous (and the Rumbles are light), I personally wouldn't sell it. It's handy to have additional resources in the event that you may need to make more noise at some point. I have more cabs than I usually need, but the extra ones come in handy at times. That's just me, of course. Your decision, obvs, but not a good time to sell at the moment.

I sold a Markbass extension cab because I never needed to use it. I never regretted it at all. I now have a Rumble 500 and wouldn’t consider an extension cab now. I think it’s important to make space for stuff in your house. I’d sell it.

12 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Sell it.  With most people using good PA then if you need to be louder, d.i. your back line into the PA. Keep your amp for you to hear and put tone in but otherwise use the monitors to hear each band member, don’t rely on the back line for those on stage to hear, you probably never will.  This will also help you save your ears, less volume on stage means longer life for your ears. Tinnitus is no fun 👎

Taller rig is easier to hear. Turn down. Save everyone's ears.

You should be wearing earplugs anyway!

Since the beginning of the pandemic, everything I've put for sale (at decent prices) has gone quickly... And I've sold a lot, but also bought some other stuff and put the remaining money in the household.

If, for some, money is tight, because of the pandemic, for others, it's exactly the opposite as they have more money than before, thanks to the same pandemic.

So if you don't need it, just sell it.

9 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I personally wouldn't sell it. It's handy to have additional resources in the event that you may need to make more noise at some point. I have more cabs than I usually need, but the extra ones come in handy at times.

2 hours ago, Trueno said:

I sold a Markbass extension cab because I never needed to use it. I never regretted it at all. I now have a Rumble 500 and wouldn’t consider an extension cab now. I think it’s important to make space for stuff in your house. I’d sell it.

Oddly I agree almost equally with both of these suggestions at the same time!

I had the NY121 extension cab for my Markbass combo and used it very little for its intended purpose, so I sold it. I've regretted my decision to some minor extent since because I liked the sound of that cab with other heads I own, but I wasn't selling my Barefaced cabs and felt that I needed to free up space at that point. I haven't re-bought the cab even though I could have done so at any point in the last howevermany years it's been, so I clearly don't miss it enough.

I never considered getting the extension cab to go with the Rumble 500, but that was mainly because I only bought one to see what all the fuss was about! Having ascertained that the Rumble is worth keeping, if I didn't have any other cabs I'd probably have bought the 210 by now so I had the matching set... partly to facilitate 'that big gig' that may or may not ever happen, but more to allow me to buy lots of different lightweight amp heads and play them through a familiar cab that doesn't cost the earth, doesn't weigh all that much and doesn't change the game of Tetris in the boot of the car or my footprint on stage.

I reckon either ditch the cab and get more basses, or start amassing a collection of car-stereo-size amp heads! 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Taller rig is easier to hear. Turn down. Save everyone's ears.

You should be wearing earplugs anyway!

Agree, sounds better as well with more speakers imo, greater depth to the sound, plus as a bonus it looks better too.

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

Oddly I agree almost equally with both of these suggestions at the same time!

I had the NY121 extension cab for my Markbass combo and used it very little for its intended purpose, so I sold it. I've regretted my decision to some minor extent since because I liked the sound of that cab with other heads I own, but I wasn't selling my Barefaced cabs and felt that I needed to free up space at that point. I haven't re-bought the cab even though I could have done so at any point in the last howevermany years it's been, so I clearly don't miss it enough.

I picked up 2 NY121s to replace a BF cab to run with my (then) LM3. The thing that surprised me was not so much the extra volume of 2 over 1 but the greater depth and authority. I only use 1 cab in small rehearsals or jams and even at a small pub gig I use 2 even if I don’t need the volume.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, martthebass said:

I picked up 2 NY121s to replace a BF cab to run with my (then) LM3. The thing that surprised me was not so much the extra volume of 2 over 1 but the greater depth and authority. I only use 1 cab in small rehearsals or jams and even at a small pub gig I use 2 even if I don’t need the volume.

Great point. Several cabs working well within their capabilities will always sound better - fuller and more authoritative as stated - than one that's being pushed, even at modest volumes.

• Like 1