Why become a member? ×

Have I been ripped off?

Stub Mandrel

Some of my basses only have 20 frets and I can't reach the High E in 'The Real Me'.

Have I been ripped off?

Am I due a refund?

Is it possible to retrofit and extra fret, perhaps by supergluing one to the end of the neck?

Can I swap a fret over from one of my 24-fret basses.

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Some of my basses only have 20 frets and I can't reach the High E in 'The Real Me'.

Have I been ripped off?

Am I due a refund?

Is it possible to retrofit and extra fret, perhaps by supergluing one to the end of the neck?

Can I swap a fret over from one of my 24-fret basses.

There are some notes I can't hit on my sax.  The sax can, but I can't.  So I play the ones I can and then just hum the ones I can't :lol:  Could be a solution...

And on a serious note - it depends on the neck.  If there's a generous overhang after the 20th (ie, a fret to fret distance plus around 5mm, then yes it's possible.  On a scale 0 to 10 of chances of wrecking a decent bass, around 3 for a bolt on and about 8 for a set neck ;).  Could be cheaper to hum but not as exciting...

• Like 1

Replace the tuner with a Hipshot detuner. Adjust to raise/lower the pitch by a semitone. Play with it in the dropped position and tune the instrument normally. When you need that high E, simply crank it to non-dropped position.

You may need a friend to help. Or use your teeth.

Either way, job done 😁

Do I win a prize?