Why become a member? ×

Lightweight bass cabs

daveybass

itu - point taken - changing speakers is not always a simple option.

I put a B&C 15" in my Fender Pro 115 - and took out/sold on the ferrite Eminence driver. Cab sounds fine to me - a little different but not in a negative way - but its about 3kgs lighter!!!

• Like 2

On 23/04/2021 at 09:29, daveybass said:

So after a brief brush with the maker and two stents at the age of 47, I've been told that basically I can't lift any thing ridiculous anymore so need to look at a lightweight cabs to replace my Warwick Hellborg Lo and High cabs.

I haven't got a clue what is out there so would be glad of the advice but am using a TC rh750 amp at present

Thanks

Dave

I would go the DI / IEM route. The less strain you put on your heart, the better. 

3 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I would go the DI / IEM route. The less strain you put on your heart, the better. 

I'd tend to agree with this, however, if the IEM route isn't an option, it might be worth a look at the Aguilar SL range.  I picked-up an SL112 recently and have been very impressed.  Different to the Berg HD210 that I normally use but not in a negative way (and at 25lbs weighs less than half as much).  As others have mentioned, there are many vectors here - weight is important of course, but there's also shape, handles (and positioning) and wheels etc. to consider - lifting and manoeuvring in tight spaces can be an issue.  For me, shape/dimensions is as important as weight: a compact cab tends to reduce the struggle whilst carrying in awkward venues.  

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

I’m digging my Markbass 102p (400w at 8ohms and weighing about 14kg). I know it’s not as cool or boutique as Barefaced but for me it’s more conventional sounding and affordable.

Those MB 2x10s are surprising. A pal has the combo version and it sounds fat and punchy and fills a room very effectively.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Those MB 2x10s are surprising. A pal has the combo version and it sounds fat and punchy and fills a room very effectively.

I’ve yet to gig mine (only got it two weeks ago) but I suspect it’ll be enough for most of my pub gigs and the prospect of such an easy load in fills me with joy!

• Like 1