Why become a member? ×

Free mix and master! First 3 Basschatters!

Erax Sound

Hi peeps,

I hope that everyone is well. As lockdown is starting to ease, I've decided to offer the first 3 Basschatters who PM me a free mix and master.

Up for it?

Aside from that, I still have affiliates offers running at £60 per song mix and master for the duration of lockdown! 

As my fellow bass brethren have been sorely treated on occasion, I feel duty bound to not "do an Ulrich," or whatever the appropriate term might be.

For examples of portfolio pop over to www.eraxsound.com 

Cheers,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Basschatters, I PM'd  @Erax Sound  to take up this offer!

I handed over the stems from one of my home recording projects... it didn't sound so great with my mix ☹️.

Andy at Erax has done a great job.... really bought the track to life and even fixed a couple of timing issues.

Good job, very happy with the results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Hello Basschatters, I PM'd  @Erax Sound  to take up this offer!

I handed over the stems from one of my home recording projects... it didn't sound so great with my mix ☹️.

Andy at Erax has done a great job.... really bought the track to life and even fixed a couple of timing issues.

Good job, very happy with the results.

Thanks Paul, was good fun to work on it.

For everyone else, I would just say that there's still 2 left!! Do you want one? PM me!!

"Free?" You say? Yes. I like to give back a bit and help folk out. You'll get exactly the same service as though you paid me full price. Can't say fairer than that can I?

You literally have nothing to lose.

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'd be tempted to send one of my orchestral pieces, all fourteen minutes of it..! B|

If you want squire. I never specified genre or length! Happy to help! PM me and we can take it from there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Ooh , I wonder if we’ll hear them in this months composition challenge B|

Not from me, I didn't have anything ready enough for a mix. Maybe I should have held on!

However, the mix I did get was of a previous entry to the composition challenge.

• Like 1

Same here. Mine originally started as a BC comp song about a year ago, but then it grew arms & legs, then I got a guitarist involved too.

I’ve been rather busy, but I’ll get it up on soundcloud soon. Gonna do a review for Andy too. Stellar work on it. 

• Thanks 1

Here goes. It was the entry for the Sumo picture. 

I deliberately didn't change anything, so I could get a good comparison. I just removed all effects, EQ etc and sent Andy the stems. Plus the original mix.

Guitar and bass sent with and without the amp simulation. Cymbals shared a track.

Andy asked if it was OK to change drum sounds, amp sounds etc and I said do what you think. He also offered to fix some timing issues in the vocal... another yes!

I was happy wit the first mix so we left it here.

Here the original then Erax.

Original:

Erax Remix:

I've apologised to @SH73 as he won't get a mix until tomorrow. My wife had her covid jab and spent several days in bed. So I didn't quite finish it. He'll have it tomorrow morning as I won't have to look after my kids!

Opinions on the "before/after" comparisons gratefully and gracefully received.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Erax Sound said:

...Opinions on the "before/after" comparisons gratefully and gracefully received.

OK, but it's offered in honest and sincere spirit, taking nothing from your splendid offer of 'first three to reply'. Best be seated, though.

OK, you're seated..?

OK. Consensus in our household. The original track has many of the hallmarks of a garage-punk 'live take', with the energy that this implies. The vocals are far from operatic standards, but affirm the story line with confidence, and stand proud. The bass is pounding away, slightly 'in your face', and the guitars holding their own in the 'heft' stakes.

The remix has taken away much of the urgency, with the vocals, whatever their 'musical' qualities, retreated to a 'safe spot'. The bass, too, has taken a back seat in the mix, where it was a stalwart pillar in the original. The guitars are brighter (and the solo does stand out more, as it should...), but the whole is now rather compressed into what I would call a 'plastic tube' effect. Not much to say about the drums; they retain their drive in both versions.

Overall, there was no match nor recount: a clear win for the original, as being much more true to the genre. The remix suffers from cleanliness, and would probably pass much better as 'lift music' than the original; that, in this context, is not really a compliment.

I should state that we listened to these, a few times each, through my decent M-Audio monitors (not cubic metre JBL's, but decent enough...), and at higher volume than I normally set for Soundcloud, which has a default volume a bit high for ordinary listening. I left the volume as that default, for both tracks (the remix is slightly lower level, but not by much...). I should also disclose that, for my part, I'm on the wrong side of seventy, and haven't the audio clarity of my youth. Our two sons (musicians, both...) do have, however, all their auditive faculties intact.

There. I'm sorry that we couldn't be more positive in our appreciation of your efforts; I would allow that this type of music needs a certain 'touch' to keep it alive (less is more..?), and that it may not be your field of speciality. I'd repeat that your offer of a remix was, and still is, a wonderful gift, so kudos for going through with this whole deal. I'm really hoping that we can be more generous if we get to compare the others. Please accept my personal apologies if this offends in any way; it really is in Good Faith that I post this. Others are very likely to be of the completely opposite view, and it's us that are 'off the page'.

Douglas

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

OK, but it's offered in honest and sincere spirit, taking nothing from your splendid offer of 'first three to reply'. Best be seated, though.

OK, you're seated..?

OK. Consensus in our household. The original track has many of the hallmarks of a garage-punk 'live take', with the energy that this implies. The vocals are far from operatic standards, but affirm the story line with confidence, and stand proud. The bass is pounding away, slightly 'in your face', and the guitars holding their own in the 'heft' stakes.

The remix has taken away much of the urgency, with the vocals, whatever their 'musical' qualities, retreated to a 'safe spot'. The bass, too, has taken a back seat in the mix, where it was a stalwart pillar in the original. The guitars are brighter (and the solo does stand out more, as it should...), but the whole is now rather compressed into what I would call a 'plastic tube' effect. Not much to say about the drums; they retain their drive in both versions.

Overall, there was no match nor recount: a clear win for the original, as being much more true to the genre. The remix suffers from cleanliness, and would probably pass much better as 'lift music' than the original; that, in this context, is not really a compliment.

I should state that we listened to these, a few times each, through my decent M-Audio monitors (not cubic metre JBL's, but decent enough...), and at higher volume than I normally set for Soundcloud, which has a default volume a bit high for ordinary listening. I left the volume as that default, for both tracks (the remix is slightly lower level, but not by much...). I should also disclose that, for my part, I'm on the wrong side of seventy, and haven't the audio clarity of my youth. Our two sons (musicians, both...) do have, however, all their auditive faculties intact.

There. I'm sorry that we couldn't be more positive in our appreciation of your efforts; I would allow that this type of music needs a certain 'touch' to keep it alive (less is more..?), and that it may not be your field of speciality. I'd repeat that your offer of a remix was, and still is, a wonderful gift, so kudos for going through with this whole deal. I'm really hoping that we can be more generous if we get to compare the others. Please accept my personal apologies if this offends in any way; it really is in Good Faith that I post this. Others are very likely to be of the completely opposite view, and it's us that are 'off the page'.

Douglas

No offence taken whatsoever! That's the thing about mixing, you're making a subjective choice based on what you think are the main points of the song. At least when given free rein to do whatever you want.

I kind of heard a thrash element in a way in this. Hence why I sharpened everything a bit more. I don't do smashed masters unless it's death metal, but if you put it on Spotify, it would still get turned down slightly. So to say it's slightly quieter is fair enough, but it's still hitting -10dB LUFS Whether soundcloud has altered that I don't know. I try not to use soundcloud as a host actually.

So no offence taken in any way squire. I kind of want to do some of your orchestral stuff now!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Erax Sound said:

...So no offence taken in any way squire. I kind of want to do some of your orchestral stuff now!

Phew..! I was worrying slightly; glad we can still be chums. I'll get back to you on the 'classical' side; I'd really like to have a second opinion on some of the rubbish compositions I come up with. One day, maybe soon... :friends:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Phew..! I was worrying slightly; glad we can still be chums. I'll get back to you on the 'classical' side; I'd really like to have a second opinion on some of the rubbish compositions I come up with. One day, maybe soon... :friends:

Nothing to be worried about. If I was going to be upset about a negative opinion I wouldn't have asked. It's good to get a wide array of feedback. 

The offer is open for you as I'd like to do some work for you as I'm sure the material would be interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally getting some time.  I'll try & get a review up for Erax Sound up this week (hopefully today, all going well).

Mine started out life as an entry for a BC comp, but I liked it so much that I kept working on it.

Andy asked me to send stems with no automation or effects.  I kept the sound sensitive effects on, but removed any reverbs or delays & removed all the automation.  The guitar parts were recorded by a friend using a Kemper & was sent to me with his chosen effects on the parts, but everything else was me, so I could remove everything.

So I sent the original track I mixed over to him to check he was happy to do it & put all the stems in Google Drive for him to access.  Andy likes to get to work straight away & kept great communication.  He sent me the first draft, made a small change to the guitar solo & snare & that was it.  Then he mastered & I had the track back in various formats.

The first thing I noticed is how much more punch it has.  It also sounds a lot fresher.

This isn't his usual genre.  He normally does Rock & Metal, but he's done a fine job on this genre (whatever it may be).

Here's my original:

Here's Erax:

• Thanks 2