Why become a member? ×

Crimpable/solderless XLR connectors - experiences?

Jakester

Does anyone have any experience with the Neutrik crimpable XLR connectors? 

I'm looking at semi-permanently installing a couple of mics in areas where I would need to feed the mic cable through small holes, so the connector won't fit. 

I am completely crap at soldering. No, I mean really, really bad. Actually, worse than that. In fact, the things intended to be soldered generally have less solder on them than when I started. 

So I'm looking for solderless XLR connectors, and Neutrik do crimpable connectors. I could feed the wire through the hole and then crimp the connector on, sparing me the embarrassment of showering myself with solder and having to give it all up as a bad job. 

Good? Bad? Ugly? (and don't say "learn to solder", I've tried dozens of times, had electronics lessons at school and in scouts, practised umpteen times, still can't do it). 

Edited by Jakester

20 minutes ago, itu said:

Neutrik is good, but solderless + audio + musician = trouble.

Learn to... consult a friend of yours.

Not very helpful. I don't know anyone who solders their own cables or does any soldering generally. 

Do you actually have any specific experience in relation to those specific connectors? Why specifically does "solderless + audio + musician = trouble"?

Well, if you know that audio signals are tiny and cables are usually treated badly, any issue in connection will be heard. Is there any reason not to buy ready made cables? They are not expensive at all.

Try Sommer at www.thomann.de

28 minutes ago, itu said:

Is there any reason not to buy ready made cables? They are not expensive at all.

Yes - if you actually read the initial post, I said:

I'm looking at semi-permanently installing a couple of mics in areas where I would need to feed the mic cable through small holes, so the connector won't fit.

where in the Uk are you? there might be a basschatter nearby that could help out with some soldering, I'm in the north east and would be happy to help with attaching xlr plugs or sockets if you're nearby.

i've never been happy with crimp on terminals of any kind, unless you have the correct tool it can be quite difficult to get a reliable connection.

Matt

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jakester said:

It is OK to buy ready made cables. Good connectors can be soldered several times.

If the material in between is not overly hard or thick, would it be possible to use some tool there?

Neutrik make good stuff, if you really can't see a way to solder then I'd say go for it. The problem will be that over time the connections will tarnish but if they are semi permanent I'd go for it and accept that there maybe need for re-crimping later.