Why become a member? ×

To Jazz or not to jazz?

Richard Jinman

I’ve got an opportunity to buy a US standard Jazz 1997 for £650 - £700. Sunburst, RW neck, Fender case and looks good barring a few dings in the body. Seems like a deal for a great workhorse. Any thoughts on the price or things to look out for when I get to inspect it? Thanks 

Edited by Richard Jinman

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m not 100% sure but didn’t the 1997 only have string through body , otherwise they are a great bass and that’s a good price 

Yeah think it is only string through but that doesn’t worry me overmuch. It’s also got a white scratch plate which looks pants with the sunburst IMO but easily swapped out

• Like 1

I like J basses but wary of 90s Fenders. I'd say play it and see if you think it's worth that. On the surface I thought anything under 8 or 900 was good but depends on the condition and feel of the actual bass and I know nowt about right hander prices. I don't think you're getting a rare collectible so just compare it to other reference points you have to see if it plays like a 700 quid bass (does it play a bit better than your 500 quid bass, or if you're a fancy pants is it about half as good as your 1500 quid bass?) 

Edited by uk_lefty

The price seems ok for a US Jazz if it`s a nice one. Re the price when new. I remember 11 years ago or so a Mex Standard P bass was £320 with a gig bag and if you sold it on now, it would be in the £350 range so it`s all relative.

4 hours ago, Richard Jinman said:

Thanks for the replies. Under no illusion I’m buying a collectible bass just want a solid jazz with ‘that’ tone. As someone said if I’m not getting on with it in 6 months I’ll sell it on. 

Scratch the itch! 

Have you played it? If you like it, it sounds a fair price. Is it in a shop or for sale privately? I ask as it's unlikely to be a bargain if it's being sold by a shop (it's their job to know the value of things). You could probably sell it on at little to no loss if it doesn't suit you. Your call, really.

Edited by Dan Dare

16 hours ago, Richard Jinman said:

Under no illusion I’m buying a collectible bass just want a solid jazz with ‘that’ tone.

If I recall correctly this was when John Suhr was still with Fender. I have a couple of Deluxe (active) jazz basses from that era and they are really nice instruments. Of course make your decision after you have played the particular instrument (if you can, that is). The "chain saw" hard case has a habit of snapping off hinges, but these are now more difficult to find in good condition. Overall, it sounds like a fair deal.