Why become a member? ×

First Rehearsal Since Lockdown

MrDaveTheBass

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Had my second rehearsal with my Motown band the other day, (and the first rehearsal with my main band).

Got contacted today by the drummer of the Motown band saying that the others were talking (other singer and new guitarist) and didn't think my wife was a good fit for the way the want the band to go. My band. But that was ok wasn't it and didn't affect me? 

The direction being the singer and guitarist (who is on his third practice since my wife found him) being a blues group. So you join a motown band and say you want to go blues? The other singer isn't really any good at anything other than a very narrow group of blues songs but is a friend of the drummer.

Frankly I have had so much hassle with that group and the only reason I was sticking with it was because it gave me an oportunity to be in a group with my wife, like a shared activity. If they had said that before lockdown, where we hadn't spent all year practicing these songs to be ready to go when we got back together, and if they had said something when we were having a discussion about songs and directions, rather than telling the drummer to talk to us, I suspect the conversation wouldn't have needed to use the words spineless and c***ts, but as they say, it is what it is.

I could have kicked them all out of my group, but frankly it wasn't worth the effort. If they want to put the effort in to get another bass player I guess they will have to do it themselves. 

Still, would have gone down better if it hadn't been on our wedding anniversary.

Jesus Christ. Being in bands would be great if it wasn't for musicians.

That's pretty shitty. Better off without people like that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Had my second rehearsal with my Motown band the other day...

That's a raw deal, and a very good example of why firearms need to be locked away. For once I agree with your appropriate expletives. :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Still, would have gone down better if it hadn't been on our wedding anniversary.

Aw mate. That sucks big time. Sounds like you're better off out, though.

On the upside though, could you and your wife form a new band?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

Aw mate. That sucks big time. Sounds like you're better off out, though.

On the upside though, could you and your wife form a new band?

Oh yes, we will. That was part of the annoyance really. If this had happened before lockdown, or during lockdown, we wouldn't have spent all that time practicing these songs we would never do, we could have been doing other stuff (to be fair, we should have done other stuff). Those feelings must have been present then. 

So yes, we will do another group, just feel like we have wasted a lot of time.

• Like 2

I feel rather guilty posting this after reading @Woodinblack's tale of spineless tw@s. We had our first post-lockdown rehearsal last Thursday and the vibe came back with a vengeance.

Our normal rehearsal venue is a college studio. We couldn't get a rehearsal studio - they were all rightly earmarked for music students - but we did manage to bag the auditorium.

We were all rather nervous - although we'd done a fair bit of online stuff, we hadn't played ensemble for the best part of fifteen months. There was a fair bit of tension in the air, especially as everyone apart from the singists had to wear masks. The singists were enclosed by perspex screens.

And just to add to the personal stress, the first song was Town Called Malice, which muggins here had to start. Worse, my Eden Metro, which had conked out on our last gig, was having its first outing since I'd had it repaired. If it put a foot wrong, I was determined to chuck the amp section off the Forth Road Bridge and reduce it to a 210 cab.

A deathly silence fell and five pairs of eyes zeroed in on me like eighteen-inch guns on a battleship. Oh God, why did I ever go near a bass guitar?

There was nothing else for it. Off I went, praying for the earth to swallow me up. Riff, riff... and the drums and guitar came in... riff, riff and I hit the low F#...

"Better stop dreaming of the quiet life, it's the one you'll never know..."

Oh wow. It all came back in an instant. A huge grin spread across my face and I knew I was back where I belonged.

No, it didn't all go swimmingly. We all hit more bum notes than a farting contest and I have a lot of homework to do. But when we finished and loaded out, I was walking on air.

And the Metro? I'll leave the verdict to the college sound engineer. "Christ," he said, "that's a killer bass amp!"

It's good to be back. Rock on! 🤘 

Edited by lozkerr
Unwanted word
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

(a) yes

(b) I hope your timing is usually better than this :/

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

No, you can own a band though. 

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh yes, we will.

It does sound like it was doomed from the start, especially since you mention you were already somewhat fed up with it? Its hard to say what exactly happened, and if its fatal there isn't much point expanding upon the drummer's relayed message that its over - trying to answer questions only leads to more questions. My advice is to leave the loose ends untied and move on.

11 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

It does sound like it was doomed from the start, especially since you mention you were already somewhat fed up with it? 

Agreed. I don't believe in fate, but it has never gone smoothly so happy to walk away.

on a more positive note, my main gigging group met on Thursday, after finally finding a venue. Last time we met in the august between time we messed up everything. We have a gig in 3 weeks, so unusually for us we had a prearranged set list, so we got there and went through it - 24 of the 30 songs and hardly made any mistakes, and all at a good speed. Honestly if we did a gig that well I would be happy. Also trying out the ABM600, which was excellent, the xvive iems, and checking the synth pedals etc. All good.

looking forward to the gig now!

The 'Spoons had their first rehearsal in 14 months this week. I cheated and had a sighter session with my drummer the week before. It went pretty well, a few rusty bits and not as tight as we usually are but I forgot less than I thought I would. All in all, it's great to be back. Got a mate's wedding to play in October but dunno what's going to happen with gigs this year yet.

Cover band likely to get started again week after next - a lot of swotting to do before I tackle that!

Just great to be playing with other people again, I've really missed it.

• Like 2