Why become a member? ×

First Rehearsal Since Lockdown

MrDaveTheBass

Had our first band rehearsal last night since February 2020. We were a bit rusty to begin with - I think that we were all a tad nervous,  but halfway through the third song we all started to relax into it and the magic started to happen. Really appreciated playing with other people again, and it was great just to be hanging with the band. I haven't stopped smiling all day, and I can't wait for next week!

• Like 8

I can’t say I’m not envious. I never minded rehearsing, provided the studio wasn’t too far for a midweek one. Having left my 2 bands 500 miles away, there’s no prospect of a rehearsal for a good while now 😢.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

First one 2 weeks ago was crap.

Last Night’s was a belter.

I'm glad that nobody was recording last night,  but now that we've broken the ice, I've got high hopes for next week. Still lots of work to be done to get back to the level that we were at in February last year. 

Guy I was practising with is bringing my latest bass over a week tomorrow, hopefully we can fit a jam in and maybe start getting things together towards an open mic. I know my playing has improved over the lock-down, could be interesting. It'll just be really nice to have company.

• Like 1

We're planning an outdoor get-together - I'd hesitate to call it a rehearsal - this weekend. I'm more nervous than I should be, but I'm guessing so is everyone else. If things more-or-less hang together, I'll count that as a win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lozkerr said:

We're planning an outdoor get-together - I'd hesitate to call it a rehearsal - this weekend. I'm more nervous than I should be, but I'm guessing so is everyone else. If things more-or-less hang together, I'll count that as a win.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll smash it. Have fun!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Waking this thread up as I’ve just got back from our first rehearsal. I was quite shocked at how good we were... everyone has clearly been practising and we have been doing stuff on Garageband (that was a pain). Everyone admitted to being a bit nervous and everyone had their own “moments”... thinking “I need to sort that bit out before next time...”

Very positive experience, but it took me nearly three hours to get the bass to sit in the mix... I should be up and running next time.

• Like 2

Had our first one last Wednesday, great to play at gigging volume, cracked out the first set, only revisited two songs due to drummer missing a couple of fills.

Just getting ready for the second rehearsal tonight, looking to crack all the way through the second set plus one brand new song.

• Like 1

We've got our first full one next Thursday and I mustard mitt that I'm cacking it. Three of us had a wee get-together outside a few weeks ago and it went reasonably well, but this one's the real deal with all of us present. I think we'll be OK, given that it'll be fourteen months since we've played ensemble and we've all admitted that we've got some ground to make up, but the nagging doubts won't go away. I'll doubtless be kicking myself savagely for every wee slip-up I make.

But it's got to be done. 

• Like 2

This is our rehearsal marquee at the drummer's pad, we used it throughout the summer between the first and second lockdowns. 

Our first session since October is tomorrow morning 11am - 2pm

Can't wait! 🎸🥁🎤

Marquee.jpeg

• Like 2

We had our first one back on Monday. Absolutley loved it, i was a little worried before hand, that for some reason the magic wouldn't be there but after the first song it felt great. I did manage to get a blood blister on my index finger seeing as it's the longest i've played in a long time plus i tend to dig in more when playing with others!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thebrig said:

This is our rehearsal marquee at the drummer's pad, we used it throughout the summer between the first and second lockdowns. 

Our first session since October is tomorrow morning 11am - 2pm

Can't wait! 🎸🥁🎤

Marquee.jpeg

I've often wondered about setting a drum kit up on a trampoline... 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I've often wondered about setting a drum kit up on a trampoline... 

The way our drummer bounces up and down when he's playing, its like he's sitting on a mini trampoline 😃

13 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

what was wrong with it? Too dark?

Yeah, no clarity really, listening back to a recording it was not as bad as I could hear in the room. 
But it was very woolly in the room.

Ashdown 414t and my Ebs 410 obviously have a clearer sound overall so it was very different.

I'm involved in two bands. The first one back (on Mon 17th and also 24th) was.........terrible. 

However the other one had its first rehearsal last night and its pretty much back to business. Pragmatically, I can't read music while wearing a mask (it interferes with the sightline) but most of the band are wind players and everyone is 2m or more apart. Dealing with the other aspects of covid compliance is no big issue (but I can't wait to get back to completely "normal")!

• 2 weeks later...

Had my second rehearsal with my Motown band the other day, (and the first rehearsal with my main band).

Got contacted today by the drummer of the Motown band saying that the others were talking (other singer and new guitarist) and didn't think my wife was a good fit for the way the want the band to go. My band. But that was ok wasn't it and didn't affect me? 

The direction being the singer and guitarist (who is on his third practice since my wife found him) being a blues group. So you join a motown band and say you want to go blues? The other singer isn't really any good at anything other than a very narrow group of blues songs but is a friend of the drummer.

Frankly I have had so much hassle with that group and the only reason I was sticking with it was because it gave me an oportunity to be in a group with my wife, like a shared activity. If they had said that before lockdown, where we hadn't spent all year practicing these songs to be ready to go when we got back together, and if they had said something when we were having a discussion about songs and directions, rather than telling the drummer to talk to us, I suspect the conversation wouldn't have needed to use the words spineless and c***ts, but as they say, it is what it is.

I could have kicked them all out of my group, but frankly it wasn't worth the effort. If they want to put the effort in to get another bass player I guess they will have to do it themselves. 

Still, would have gone down better if it hadn't been on our wedding anniversary.

• Sad 3