Why become a member? ×

1 track, 2 Ps

Munurmunuh

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I'd be happy with either. Both good sounding Precision basses, but not different enough for me to pick one over the other.

Do you think that all the differences I'm hearing are simply to do with strings / player, with the instruments themselves being otherwise much of a muchness? (I wondered if the pickups might have noticeably different characters?)

For what it's worth, I like both to listen to, but its the second sound (the one coming out of the P with the lighter fretboard) that I would like to be making

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Do you think that all the differences I'm hearing are simply to do with strings / player, with the instruments themselves being otherwise much of a muchness? (I wondered if the pickups might have noticeably different characters?)

For what it's worth, I like both to listen to, but its the second sound (the one coming out of the P with the lighter fretboard) that I would like to be making

Ricky, I didn't really dissect the sound. I liked both players and thought they had a nice flow to their playing. I liked the bass line. The basses sounded like Precision basses, so all good. I guess the rosewood guy had a slightly warmer sound, but nothing an eq couldn't equal out. I'd choose rosewood because I don't like the way maple marks with playing. Sorry, that's as far as my analysis went.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

For me the difference is mainly down to choice of flats vs rounds

Both sound really good.

Agreed - the difference is all in the strings. For me it's all about the flats but both do sound really good and as always is massively context dependent as to what you might choose to use. Having them solo'd like this is cool for hearing the differences between them but it's where they sit in the mix that is really important I'd argue. Either way two great players, two great sounding basses and you've got to love funk with a pick :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Round wound strings it is then. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Shame I've got a £60 custom set of Chromes on one of my two basses 😐

Chromes are lovely. I've got them on all 3 of my P basses and they sound great new or really old. But if you want that sound you'll need rounds. No reason. you can't swap them out for a bit and keep the chromes - flats never really 'go off; so. you could put back on when ready. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

Chromes are lovely. I've got them on all 3 of my P basses and they sound great new or really old. But if you want that sound you'll need rounds. No reason. you can't swap them out for a bit and keep the chromes - flats never really 'go off; so. you could put back on when ready. 

The instrument they're on - very definitely not a P bass - needed flats to give the sound some depth - only once they were on did it sound like a bass. What I really need is to be shot of that instrument 🙄 Live and learn.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The instrument they're on - very definitely not a P bass - needed flats to give the sound some depth - only once they were on did it sound like a bass. What I really need is to be shot of that instrument 🙄 Live and learn.

Agreed - there's always something to learn isn't there. Nice to see a fellow Yorkie too, though I no longer reside there any more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dodge_bass said:

Either way two great players, two great sounding basses and you've got to love funk with a pick

A quick search shows the guy with the red P (Fernando Rosa) tends to more usually play fingerstyle, on a variety of old Fender basses and is a very nice player.

In fact, his bass playing is very nearly as impressive as his beard...! 🙂 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, peteb said:

A quick search shows the guy with the red P (Fernando Rosa) tends to more usually play fingerstyle, on a variety of old Fender basses and is a very nice player.

In fact, his bass playing is very nearly as impressive as his beard...! 🙂 

Yes he keeps cropping up on my Instagram feed. He beats, hands down, both my bass playing and beard wearing! 

• Like 1