Why become a member? ×

Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring' - djentrified !

musicbassman

So, take a very talented guitarist called Joe Parrish and give him the complete scores for the incredibly complex 'Rite of Spring' by Stravinsky.

And then lock him away in a studio for a year or two.

And he comes up with something so seemingly impossible you can't believe it.

The sheer dedication alone is jaw dropping. And note for note, it's absolutely accurate to the original score. Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I went to see a performance of this when I was 15 - my first ever Prom concert. Fabulous stuff. Couldn't stick the guitar version for more than a few minutes. The notes may be "correct" but the feeling and sound textures are nowhere near as rich, subtle and varied as those delivered by the orchestra as scored. Imho, ymmv etc.

• Like 5

To me, the original piece is a matter of timbre as much anything, which, despite the excellent technicity of the fellow, lacks wholly. I couldn't get far with it. Quite a 'Zappa' approach, and kudos for the enormous work involved, but I prefer the orchestral version, no contest. B|

• Like 5

I can't take anything away from the ambition and skill. It's a great piece of work, but it comes across as more a technical exercise.

Something is missing.

Perhaps this is because so much of the incredible texture generated by the required huge and varied orchestra is lost when using just one type of instrument?

I had similar reservations about the Music For 18 Musicians release by Erik Hall last year.

I'm not a great fan of the Reich piece, but ones whole enjoyment relies on the tension and human quality inherent in having it played in real time and again the fantastic timbral textures involved.

Reducing it to multitrack takes of the electric instruments you happen to own defeats the purpose and it becomes another technical exercise.

Again I don't have the skill or ambition to accomplish either of these solo recordings, so hats off to Joe and Erik.

Edited by Woodwind
  • Like 3

It's brilliantly done but then I don't care for the original version or Stravinsky in general for that matter. As the thread titles suggests it's a nod to djent, which as a genre demands a high level of technical skill but TBH it  lacks the other attributes that make music enjoyable for me to listen to e.g. melody.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I had to give up on it after about 5 minutes (although I was tempted to pull the plug after 20 seconds). Technically interesting (hence the 'thanks' to the OP) and he's clearly an extremely skillful player,  but musically completely soulless IMHO. The point has already been made about the varied tonalities that make up the orchestral version, and that's what this piece is so sorely missing.

I don't have any issue with the production: nothing wrong in using common studio techniques IMHO (it undoubtedly offends some ears, just not mine is all). My main criticism is that it has the feel of something that's been done essentially because he can, and with music like this it's just not enough. Sorry. :/

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The same problem comes up in the opposite direction - here are some classical musicians trying to play Aphex Twin

Absolutely.

I found the whole alarm will sound Aphex album unlistenable.

Again an exercise in transcription without an understanding of what makes the original so successful.

Devoid of all soul and counterintuitively lacking a human element.

Listening to this again now and it makes me feel a bit ill.

Edited by Woodwind
spelling
  • Like 2

Only watched a bit. However, from what I watched, the fact that it is all guitars destroys it. No tonal variation makes it sound like clusters of notes.

I love Stravinsky and the rite is massive. You need all the different timbres, attacks, decays and how they mix. It's kind of an aggressive soundscape.

Obviously the lad who has done it is very talented and it's a lot of hard work. So well done on that level but it's not for me.

• Like 6