Why become a member? ×

RIP Jim Steinman

Roger2611

I really liked Meatloaf when I was a kid. My dad then got a cassette of Steinman songs by Meat and Bonnie Tyler, it was awesome. Great memories of that tape being played on a week long holiday when we drove to Brittany. Excellent song writing. 

'Bat out of Hell' and 'Dead Ringer' were both albums that I really connected with as a kid when I was raiding my mum's LPs, and I remember Bat 2 coming out and pretty much playing the tape to destruction. But I've got to give special mention to 'Bad for Good' - I know it got some mixed reviews, but I still prefer a lot of those original and slightly more raw recordings to the versions that eventually ended up on Meat Loaf albums. A proper chunk of my formative listening and still some of my favourite music to this day. Cheers, Jim!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ed_S said:

'Bat out of Hell' and 'Dead Ringer' were both albums that I really connected with as a kid when I was raiding my mum's LPs, and I remember Bat 2 coming out and pretty much playing the tape to destruction. But I've got to give special mention to 'Bad for Good' - I know it got some mixed reviews, but I still prefer a lot of those original and slightly more raw recordings to the versions that eventually ended up on Meat Loaf albums. A proper chunk of my formative listening and still some of my favourite music to this day. Cheers, Jim!

Love how you've put that! Meatloaf, and thereby Jim's compositions were a big part of my formative musical experiences too. The story telling in a song and within an album just grabbed me. Going to listen to a load today I think! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Definitely. "Bad For Good" is a great record and the version of "Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through" on there is a belter. Some of his work is a wee bit too Wagnerian for my tastes, but you cannot deny that Steinman had a clear vision and a signature sound, exemplified by "Bat Out of Hell," of course.

My favourite stories about Steinman concern the abortive attempts to record the follow up to "Pyromania" with Def Leppard. It did not go well... Steinman met the band in Ireland and in an Interview reproduced on his website he says:  "One of the first conversations I had with Def Leppard was in Dublin during pre-production. I was so excited to be in Dublin and I said, This is great for me. I'm finally in the land of James Joyce and Yeats. These guys are idols of mine. You guys feel that at all? And they said, No, we haven't had a chance to meet any of the local musicians."

• Haha 4