Why become a member? ×

Dean Markley Nickels

Pow_22

After being a long time Elites Flatwound/P Bass guy lockdown did funny things to me i ended up going in a completely other direction with the purchase of a Spector Euro LX4.  Ive quickly discovered this beast loves nickel wounds and the pre amp can give them an almost flat-esque thump/pump while retaining clarity and growl.  As a cheap first set i got a set of 106/48 Dean Markley Nickelsteel off that ebay for not much £ and have been very impressed.  I like a bit of tension to my string and these certainly have that.  Delving more into the Markley range i can see the also offer their Blue Steels in an NPS version and was curious how these compare to their 'standard' nickel steel at almost a 75% price difference?  Any Markley users have experience with their range of Nickels care to chip in?

I think the cryogenic treatment is a gimmick and doesn't really improve the longevity that much. Dean Markley strings sound pretty broken in from the start so if you're after that sort of tone, GHS Boomers or black label Dunlop nickels might be a good alternative. 

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

When I started playing your choices were Dean Markleys or Ernie Balls...

It seems that loads of people use the EBs, I don't know anybody who uses DMs - and I can't find a reason why...

Kim Deal of the Pixies used/uses DMs exclusively. One very good reason right there! 😉