Why become a member? ×

Jeeves, bring my nano-violin... (Morrissey content)

Rich

I keep wanting to like The Smiths because of the bass and guitar work, but can never get beyond Morrissey’s whining and as I managed to get past Geddy’s voice (I’m now a big Rush fan), that’s saying something.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I keep wanting to like The Smiths because of the bass and guitar work, but can never get beyond Morrissey’s whining and as I managed to get past Geddy’s voice (I’m now a big Rush fan), that’s saying something.

Totally agree - I still can’t listen to the earlier rush stuff (same reason) but enjoy the later albums. 

I'm quite surprised that The Simpsons thought Morrisey was relevant enough to parody.

30 years ago definitely, even 20 years ago maybe, but in 2021 I'd be suprised if many of their audience under 40 has more than the vaguest idea of who he is, let alone know the man well enough to understand what's being parodied.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

I wanted to see what the fuss was about, bought the Queen is dead and gave it away to a mate the very next day. Couldn't listen to it for more than a few songs and also I don't see what is so special with Jonny Marr in this context. 

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

The irony of a show currently flagellating itself for it's long-running usage of lazy racist stereotypes accusing someone of racism is quite astonishing, it must be said.

True, but I'm quite happy to overlook said irony as long as they're p!ssing that whining sanctimonious bellend off. :lol:

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cato said:

I'm quite surprised that The Simpsons thought Morrisey was relevant enough to parody.

30 years ago definitely, even 20 years ago maybe, but in 2021 I'd be suprised if many of their audience under 40 has more than the vaguest idea of who he is, let alone know the man well enough to understand what's being parodied.

My Daughter (21) and all her mates are crazy for The Smiths, they still have a huge influence on todays 'Yoof

Quite how they reconcile themselves with Mozzas stupidity (they're also big Corbinistas ) I have absolutely no idea but then again I'm over 50 and invisible.

• Haha 1

I love Morrissey. Always will. The Smiths were such a pivotal part of my navigation through the 80s as a teenager..

I don't agree with his old fashioned political views at all,  which are much the same as most of my elder family members unfortunately, but no love lost there either.

As for The Simpsons.. "Hamburgers are Homicide"!!

Come on, that's hilarious!! 👍

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cato said:

I suspect The Simpsons no longer have an audience under 40 hence its parodying icons its audience recognise

• Like 4

As an American in Jersey (New) I take offense that Morrisey takes offense to The Simpsons. No offense to those that like The Smiths or Morrisey (whoever or whatever they are).

Actually when I think of the Smiths it turns out I'm thinking of someone else...

• Like 1

I would like to point out that there is a thin line between being a sensitive voice of marginalised post-adolescent anomie, and being an oversensitive hypocrite who dishes it out but can't take it.

I would like to point that out, but I can't because its a whole stack of ovoids. It isn't a thin line, it is a great fat gaping chasm into which that preening autodidact fell many years ago. Still, since the whole persona was predicated upon his naff self-loathing and ineffectual spite in the first place, I suppose he has simply aged according to type.

• Like 2