Why become a member? ×

Moog sound studio ...Do I really need it

During lockdown , I'm finally getting to grips with the Grandomther 😸
A few weeks ago, I  decided to get a DFAM . Love it . 

I noticed that that the above has just been released . Either DFAM with mother32 or Subharmonicon . 

Times are hard, and the sound studio bundle is not cheap. Plus the artwork to me looks to be on th kiddie side of things .

However, with the idea of the dice 🎲🎲 and the mixer  it looks more fun and less daunting to use and things seem more immediate to me .

Plus I could have thus setup in either the front room or in the small music room .  

As I have the grandmother and DFAM , is it best to step away and carry on with what I have , or  treat it like basses where maybe I should have this . 😼

Any thoughts ?

I've got a Mother 32 so the DFAM/Subharmonicon bundle is a pretty good deal and very tempting. Just need to clear my CC balance.

Not sure it's worth it for you as you have the DFAM. You can just make your own dice connections chart.

• Thanks 1

Thanks  bartleby.

I noticed quite a lot of dfams on sale on fleabay over the last few weeks .

I wouldn't be surprised  if those sellers are going for the moog studio bundle .

At the back of my mind , was to sell my dfam and put it towards the studio bundle .

Good point about the dice . If there is a download on the moog website for various patches, I could try to mimic them on the grandmother . 

I'm still tempted , but if there was a Black Friday sale on , that may be best time to get them .

Having said all of that , I've still got loads to learn on the grandmother ..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another thought has popped into my head ..

As I already have the dfam, I would only need the mother 32 ( or su harmonic on ) The mother has a midi socket and is  slightly cheaper . 
Obviously , if I did that it would be an eBay purchase . Plus the only other thing I'd need is the stand to put them in . Again , another eBay purchase . 

I could do without the posters . I already have a mixer, and if I want to plug it into my stereo I can also . I have patch leads , and there is never enough of those . Then I'd just get the dice 🎲🎲

If moog decided to put some presets on their website, that would be handy also . 
The only real drawback from this more budget solution , is that you still need 2 things to be plugged into the mains instead of one .

Anyhow , more comments appreciated 

The Subharmonicon has midi in on a trs jack.  
I guess you need to see how the Grandmother compares with the Mother32 and Subharmonicon and get whichever offers the most versatility. The M32 sounds nice, but once oscillator with 2 waveforms means it's quite limited sound wise, obviously you can go mad patching it to different things. 
In your position I'd probably go with the Subharmonicon. DFAM from 'drums', Gmother for lead stuff and the Sub for the bassier end of things.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again Bartleby. 
Yeah , the more I see about the mother 32 , the less enticing it seems .

Thankfully , I have the grandmother which is the most expensive . Lockdown has managed to get my head around it . 
The subharmonicon is the dearest out of the other 3 . 

The way you just mentioned the setup sounds like the way to go . 

This seems like my moog setup would be complete . I was looking at minitaur for a few years , but it seems that the  when I got the grandmother I didn't need it . Now that the subharmonicon is released , that would do the low end job anyway . 

1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Thanks again Bartleby. 
Yeah , the more I see about the mother 32 , the less enticing it seems .

Thankfully , I have the grandmother which is the most expensive . Lockdown has managed to get my head around it . 
The subharmonicon is the dearest out of the other 3 . 

The way you just mentioned the setup sounds like the way to go . 

This seems like my moog setup would be complete . I was looking at minitaur for a few years , but it seems that the  when I got the grandmother I didn't need it . Now that the subharmonicon is released , that would do the low end job anyway . 

But the Minitaur does sound so nice! The band Hot Snakes use one to reinforce the low end during parts of some songs. When they do it live it's bloody awesome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I would think it would be crazy to get that when you already have most of it. The stand for two things, the simple mixer and a two way power adapter are small numbers of pounds.

Good point woodinblack. 
I don't think you're able to get the mixer or their 2 way  power adapter separately , as far as I can see. If I could, then that would be the better option 

52 minutes ago, bartelby said:

But the Minitaur does sound so nice! The band Hot Snakes use one to reinforce the low end during parts of some songs. When they do it live it's bloody awesome!

Yes, it sounds great . Much more practical than the Taurus pedal in my small room . Plus it has presets . Funny enough, I haven't seen any videos of anyone plugging a bass into it 😼

2 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Good point woodinblack. 
I don't think you're able to get the mixer or their 2 way  power adapter separately , as far as I can see. If I could, then that would be the better option 

Maybe not official moog ones, but equivalent.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update : After watching more you tube clips on the sound studio and indeed the subharmonican , I decided against either of those . I decided against the mother -32 also .

However...after seeing one particular item on the bay for a price that would be niggling me if I let it go, I have just pulled the trigger and a Moog Minitaur is now on its way to me . 🙀

Apparently only a month old , with Decksaver fully boxed with instructions etc 

I'll get the wooden brackets from somewhere at some stage , and potentially the stand . 

I don't want to go the euro rack route , and tbh I think that will be it as far as my analogue hardware instruments go . Of course I have lots of iPad apps etc but buying moogs and decent synths can be  very dangerous . 

So in conclusion , I have Grandmother / DFAM / and  minitaur to come .

Any more thoughts welcome ..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, if you really want a big moog system, look what behringer have done now...

https://www.behringer.com/series.html?category=R-BEHRINGER-SYSTEM-15-35-55SERIES

Wow!

There wouldn't be time for bass guitar or anything else .

Probabky got the entire krautrock  back catalogue in there somewhere 

• 2 months later...

After using the dfam,  grandmother and minitaur for a while now , I finally realised that I don't need the sound studio after all . I know I said that above ..

When I finally setup the correct positioning of the dfam on a homemade stand , I was able to connect the various patch cables a lot easier . 
This meant there was no need for a euro rack stand. The mixer I have is adequate . 

If I were to get the studio bundle , it would have been the mother 32 , and not the harmonicon.

The harmonicon doesn't appeal to me . 
The mother 32 has more sockets for patch cables and looked  easier to programme than the grandmother initially .

Having said that and after looking at various you tube vids, it seems like I've now got the hang of using the dfam and grandmother together and I'm not missing out on anything really . Apart from a few more sockets on the mother 32.

Now I see there is an updated release of the sound studio for ..£2,000 approx with harmonicon/dfam / mother 32

Not for me ! 

There have been  2 sellers on eBay selling the moog sound studio for £850 . ( dfam and grandmother ) pretty much mint condition . I did for a moment or 2 think about buying them and selling my dfam ( which means that I would have the moog bundle for approx £400 

Having said all of that , I think that I can live without the kiddie posters and cartoon cutouts and stick with what I've got. 

I am wondering why moog have released this latest version of the sound bundle so soon .  Poor sales??

11 minutes ago, bartelby said:

What kind of nonsense is this??

In a nutshell , I'm happy with my setup and dodged a bullet by not being swayed by getting something I more or less already have . 
I could or maybe should have started another thread , but in a way  my last post more or less finishes this one . 

Some things are easier to explain in person rather than typing 😸