Why become a member? ×

£700 - What would you buy?

silentbob

On 19/04/2021 at 21:10, silentbob said:

Lots to think about. Thanks for all the input so far guys.

Contact me if you want to try a few out, happy to help.  Used Sandbergs is a great shout, quality, great sund, hold their value and superb build.  I have two.  Also have a couple of Musicmans, a couple of Shukers, BB1100s, Ovation Magnum and fortunate to have a few more.  PM me and come and try, happy to help........and enjoy.......

£700 can buy a lot of bass if you're prudent, you hold out for something you really want and you're prepared to haggle.

Recently paid £550 for a 1986 Hamer; US made model.  On receipt it needed a decent set up (all good), Dunlop Straploks (which I would have done anyway).

I have replaced the stock DiMarzios with a used EMG Geezer Butler PJ set, but I'm still well under the £700 limit.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2021 at 11:49, mcnach said:

I would get this:

febc81dd-6787-4a77-88ef-368789e67d7c-jpe

I played one of these a while back at Anderson's.  Not really my thing, but it was a country mile ahead of all the other stuff that was hanging on the walls in there.  It played beautifully, tonally alive.  

Also the J4; given that the Schecter J4 Jazz (also nice looker/player) is retailing at £799, you'd think these would come up for £500-600 on the used market.

• Like 1

Japanese and US Fenders, bought secondhand, hold their value. Are they the best basses out there, probably not but have brand recognition.

I'm a new convert to G&L basses but they aren't popular (who knows why?)and are difficult to sell on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gjones said:

Japanese and US Fenders, bought secondhand, hold their value. Are they the best basses out there, probably not but have brand recognition.

I'm a new convert to G&L basses but they aren't popular (who knows why?)and are difficult to sell on.

Bouht a G&L Tribute, brand new (1500 model I think, not sure) about five years ago for 250 quid, bloke won it in a raffle!  Incredible value for money and so versatile...............my pal took it and said he wasn't giving it back!  He paid me about six months later under a threat of violence!  Joking!  He said he didn't want to part with it.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2021 at 11:57, silentbob said:

Thanks for all the input guys. This bad boy just popped up on Marketplace for £575 and is now on it's way to me. Looks like a clean example, and I think it ticks all the boxes.

Screenshot_20210423-115120.png

Looks just like one I used to own. The 2 band EQ sounds great. I always described it's sound, as like a bass guitar with a kick drum behind it, it has a real punch. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it when it arrives.

• Like 3

On 23/04/2021 at 11:57, silentbob said:

Thanks for all the input guys. This bad boy just popped up on Marketplace for £575 and is now on it's way to me. Looks like a clean example, and I think it ticks all the boxes.

Screenshot_20210423-115120.png

That's a great choice at a good price. looks really nice. Enjoy your new toy! :-)

• Like 1