Why become a member? ×

£700 - What would you buy?

silentbob

Sandbergs are not plummeting, but they have a shelf. They are fantastic bases across the range.

If you want a Fender P or J - best value are the Highway One series second hand - under appreciated, MIA but finished in Mexico - I like the grease bucket circuit.

Get a decent fender body - make a bitsa - I like a Status neck.

Aria Pro SB1 elite

Hohner headless Jack or B2ADB, pop in the EMG replacements and have change for pork scratchings and tangfastics

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

,,,,,,,,I'm also waiting for a heart transplant which the chances of receiving are pretty low, so I figure if I get myself a half decent bass, it's a nice treat for me........

Sorry to hear of your health woes. Obviously, my first hope is that a transplant can be arranged for you absolutely ASAP - fingers crossed
In the meantime, I'd say you definitely deserve a treat - and if you feel that a bass guitar IS that treat... then go for it
Best of luck in both your search, and more importantly, with your health :)

Some good suggestions here - but my two pennorth of a MIJ / CIJ Fender wins! ;) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, silentbob said:

As per the title, if you had around £700 to drop on a bass, what you buy? 

I did, so I bought a Pelham Blue Jack Casady. I can't tell you what it's like as it's a special deal where you give them your money and they might send you one in around six months or so, or maybe not, who knows. 

• Haha 3

Personally i would go for a used bass which will be pretty stable in resale value.

USA built G+L basses are stupidly cheap for some odd reason - L2000's pop up for about that money and are really versatile but seem hard to move on if you need to. A Sandberg California may be a touch over your £700 budget but they are fabulous basses with great build quality. And finally a USA S.U.B would be on my list - they're getting a bit expensive now though IMHO - they were around £450/500 for ages and just recently seem to be fetching £600+ 
I would be happy with any of those.

I definitely wouldn't buy a new bass though - the depreciation is too painful

Edited by Mudpup

I would buy an early 80s Ibanez blazer or Roadstar. I can't believe how epic these bases are. I'd be on the hunt for a hellish well worn one with loads of mojo, ideally either a P-type or maybe a 24 fret job. As long as the neck was good then anything else just adds to the vibe for me but I'd have to try it first.

8 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

I would buy an early 80s Ibanez blazer or Roadstar. I can't believe how epic these bases are. I'd be on the hunt for a hellish well worn one with loads of mojo, ideally either a P-type or maybe a 24 fret job. As long as the neck was good then anything else just adds to the vibe for me but I'd have to try it first.

I have absolutely no intention of attempting to resist the temptation to post this, a demo I'm absolutely fixated with. (At least, the second halves of the flats-then-rounds pairs of phrases: the flats seem a waste on such a vibrant instrument.)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I have absolutely no intention of attempting to resist the temptation to post this, a demo I'm absolutely fixated with. (At least, the second halves of the flats-then-rounds pairs of phrases: the flats seem a waste on such a vibrant instrument.)

Can confirm. Have played something very similar to this and it was one of the best bass guitars I've ever tried out. Personally I think it sounded great with well-worn rounds. It was knackered, gigged to hell and back but the tone and the feel was out of this world. Could have done with a re-fret but if it was for sale I'd have bought it then and there but the owner cherishes it as it was her dad's. If I ever see one in a store though...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

Can confirm. Have played something very similar to this and it was one of the best bass guitars I've ever tried out. Personally I think it sounded great with well-worn rounds. It was knackered, gigged to hell and back but the tone and the feel was out of this world. Could have done with a re-fret but if it was for sale I'd have bought it then and there but the owner cherishes it as it was her dad's. If I ever see one in a store though...

Possibly of interest....

Reverb seller in Maidenhead

1 hour ago, kwmlondon said:

I've got an early 80s Roadster which I love, but my biggest regret is selling the Blazer that preceded it when I got the Roadster in 1985. At the time I didn't have any idea the Blazer was a particularly good bass - bought & sold for £125. I'd just started playing & didn't like the colour (ie it wasn't black) so moved it on, but in retrospect... 

Edited by el borracho
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

to be fair his videos make most basses sound really really nice 

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would get this:

febc81dd-6787-4a77-88ef-368789e67d7c-jpe

Schecter Model T Session.

I'm not sure it'll become a collectable classic or anything, so in terms of an investment it might not work out, but it's a superb bass. 

My Sandberg VM4 was supposed to be the 'upgrade' for this one (I just wanted a fat humbucker at the bridge), but as much as I love the VM4, the Schecter keeps coming back as a solid #2 (the Stingray is #1). It's just a really really good bass.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, silentbob said:

Thanks for all the input guys. This bad boy just popped up on Marketplace for £575 and is now on it's way to me. Looks like a clean example, and I think it ticks all the boxes.

Screenshot_20210423-115120.png

Oh, nice one!

Prices have gone up a lot on these in the past few years, dang I should have kept the 3 I owned a bit longer! :D 

A Stingray in everything but name, great choice!

23 hours ago, silentbob said:

Thanks for all the input guys. This bad boy just popped up on Marketplace for £575 and is now on it's way to me. Looks like a clean example, and I think it ticks all the boxes.

Screenshot_20210423-115120.png

You won’t be disappointed. I preferred my US SUB to my full fat, EBMM 3 band.