Why become a member? ×

£700 - What would you buy?

silentbob

As per the title, if you had around £700 to drop on a bass, what you buy? Used or new, preferably something that would hold (or maybe even increase) it's value.

For reference, so far been toying with a Sadowsky Metro Express (concerns over QC, but I would love to own even a budget Sadowsky), Micheal Kelly (found while trawling the web, no idea on quality, but they are certainly pretty), USA Musicman Sub Bass (sound great and seemingly bulletproof), something by Fender, used Limelight.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

27 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Used or new, preferably something that would hold (or maybe even increase) it's value.

Used... will kinda hold it's value.
I think it's rare to see increases in value and normally it's luck more than planned purchasing! 
It also depends what you are after... best value for money and workhorse bass for £700 Yamaha BB of some kind... otherwise have a look in the marketplace and see what's out there and looks interesting

• Like 1

I play this game with myself all the time... what if circumstances changed and I had to sell up and just go for something that's flexible enough to cover any project, plays well and sounds great for both gigs and recording. With that budget, new, I'd be going for the Yamaha BB435 and getting a decent bit of change back... Used I'd be looking for a BB735A.

A used Fender Japan bass. IMO great construction quality, lovely playing basses, and becoming more sought after.
I've had a few (still have two) played several others, and not come across a bad one yet. Possibly more consistent in build quality than their US counterparts over the years?

• Like 7

Had  a craving for a Black Precision ,maple board being an old Stranglers fan

not much about ,few USA new ones on used wanting high prices 

opted for a Player precision ,brand new ,changed pick guard for the look 

love it ,sub £700 

I Have a spector euro4 ,and mij metro sadowsky and a Ric  and the Player is taking them on for me at the moment 

• Like 1

Why not buy a £200 bass, get the dopamine 'hit', then buy another £200 bass in about 3 weeks time; then a £300 bass in 6 weeks time? Triple the dopamine?

Seriously though, this is why being able to go into a music shop and trying basses is an important thing; and that high street music shops should be supported. A bass is a personal thing, by all means some internet suggestions can create a shortlist but the final decision must rest upon how you feel about it.

Having said that, secondhand Japanese Fender Jazz is a pretty safe bet!

Some of the Cort lineup take some beating.....played an A4 artisan and it would put many basses twice the price to shame...trouble is, i doubt it would increase in value, also there is a lack of kudos which also goes for many other brands.  

Thanks for the advice so far.

For a little more background, the reason I'm looking is that I have £700 sat in the bank which will fritter away over time as money always does leaving me nothing to show for it. I'm also waiting for a heart transplant which the chances of receiving are pretty low, so I figure if I get myself a half decent bass, it's a nice treat for me, and my Mrs shouldn't have too much trouble moving it on should the worst happen.

• Like 5

Go for a Squier JV (1981 to 1983) in very good condition if Fender's are your type of basses. They are certainly going to increase in value over the next minutes.

There's a 1983 Squier JV Jazz Bass for sale on eBay at the moment at a correct price. Don't hesitate to negotiate if you have reasons to do so.

Here it is :

Sandberg, well, urm, no. They are losing value faster than your bank account.

An old German Warwick could be had at this price tag, but I'm not sure it will increase in value.

Luthiers instruments are not a bad idea, but which one will see its value increasing is quite a mystery.

You can also get a Fender Flea first generation in this price bracket. Excellent value for money bass.

That said a Yamaha TRB -4P can be had at this price tag and it's a killer bass that won't lose its value over the years on the contrary.

The choice of "good basses" in your budget in pretty much endless. I'd have a serious think about a used and clean G&L, Lakland, Spector or Yamaha.

All are making some really nice players basses currently and TBH I'd have trouble choosing which one .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

...Sandberg, well, urm, no. They are losing value faster than your bank account.

A few basses do seem to plummet in value from their new price, but the flip side is that...

3 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Sandberg for sure. Absolute steal secondhand. 

I only wish used Spectors didn't hold their value so well!