Why become a member? ×

Starting a guitar/bass blog need some help please

stonevibe

7 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

? ? ? :/

I mean, as virtually no online shop on the internet can work without cookies, do you not do any online shopping, and what are you doing on basschat? I see a virtual ton of session cookies, login cookies, timezone cookies going all the way back to april.

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I mean, as virtually no online shop on the internet can work without cookies, do you not do any online shopping, and what are you doing on basschat? I see a virtual ton of session cookies, login cookies, timezone cookies going all the way back to april.

No, no; I thought that I had explained earlier. I'm not a Luddite, and have no problem with cookies, from any site. I use CCleaner now and again, which rubs out the ones I've not allowed for keeping, anyway. I'm far from a 'normal' customer, and pity any business basing any decisions on stats garnered from my web usage. I use ad-blockers, simply because it's a pain in the wotsit, and I need the screen real estate for whatever I'm peering at.
No, my 'beef' is quite simply the hypocrisy of giving the choice back to the individual (after all, the horse bolted years ago; these 'non-essential' cookies have been in our systems for years, or decades; we just weren't informed about their usage...), and then making the 'refuse' choice darned-near impossible by hiding it away or smothering it in reams of mumbo-jumbo. Many sites have an honest 'Refuse all'; some have a 'Save the selection' with the selections being defaulted to 'Off'. That, to me, is enough. Any site that does not make the 'Refuse' choice simple and evident is, in my view, doing it deliberately to get around the fact that it's now compulsory to offer that choice. I won't condone that, so I don't visit those sites. That's all.
Apologies for derailing this topic with such stuff; I've already indicated my Good Wishes to the OP for the success of his blog. It's my loss that I don't consult it; the price I pay for being a Stubborn Old Fuddy-Duddy. :$

4 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

No, my 'beef' is quite simply the hypocrisy of giving the choice back to the individual (after all, the horse bolted years ago; these 'non-essential' cookies have been in our systems for years, or decades; we just weren't informed about their usage...), and then making the 'refuse' choice darned-near impossible by hiding it away or smothering it in reams of mumbo-jumbo.

Ah, gotcha. Well, I don't think it is hypocracy, rather than legality. That damn EU with all their intefering ways said we had to have a choice. I am not sure if they said what to do if the choice was no :D

17 hours ago, stonevibe said:

The whole 'cookies' accepting thing is a right mess just about everywhere I look. The Gearnews site I work for has a similar option to GuitarBomb for example, as in 'Accept' but nothing else.

I did a load of research and found you can pay for a business account with Wordpress, which then allows you to add 'Widgets' which in turn you can add cookie widgets, with terms and conditions etc But they still don't offer the all the options and none of them will admit to liability for legal reasons. So a proper minefield for a blog writer like myself.

The EU legislation was well meaning, but the issue appears to be that no information I can find, agrees on what is legal and what is not. So you are left with a "What's legit and what's not?" question.

As far as I can see Google Analytics and any built-in analytics software will track where you are, and when you logged on. But as you aren't giving any information about yourself, as in name, address, banking details or signing up for services, then it is okay.

However, I'm happy to learn more, but no one I have talked with can give a straight answer on the topic.

Until recently I worked in IT in financial services. The online/web side of the business had a nightmare of GDPR, but even me working on the big box / mainframe type side had a nightmare with it. I had to design a system to do with GDPR compliance and it was tough going as you could not get a clear answer out of the regulators. Add in the poorly thought out PSD2 (Personal Services Directive 2) and the increase in costs was horrendous. I flagged up that the imposed changes would lead to increased complaints - which the regulators monitor and issue fines - regulator said 'tough'. It led to increased complaints....

Regulations / laws in this space need to be simple and unambiguous.  

• Like 1

On 20/04/2021 at 16:03, stonevibe said:

I'm interviewing a couple of very cool UK luthiers this week and they both do guitars and basses, so could be a really fun couple of days for me!

If anyone on here knows any interesting luthiers, pedal builders or any guitar/bass companies that would like some free exposure, then feel free to hit me up, and I'll attempt to get something happening on GuitarBomb.com for them.

Simon at 81guitarworks  - tell him steve with all the basses sent you  🤣🤣🤣

you could check out Turnstone Guitars, John Case, Tony Zemaitis  maybe try for interview with Bill Nelson while his health still allows and do a feature on his collection?

also - even if your site is hosted on wordpress.com you can still choose another cookie management plugin and switch off the default WP one - glad i stumbled across this post because im just having a scan through a bunch of my own sites and working out which plugin i want to go for now to incorporate the DECLINE option 😁

excuse me for being a bit dim but what is the difference between THE CONTENT and THE LATEST NEWS? they both appear to have list of same posts? 

much prefer the latest news styling, busy images with white overlaid text  like on the content page is usually best only for real large h1 elements :) just my $0.10

are you able to align the footer widgets side by side? the large white space on the left looks a bit redundant? there thats $0.20 youve had now 🤣 ymmv mcton yhmbariydnkupoym etc etc

Edited by steve-bbb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The site design is about to change, as have a bunch of new content creators coming to the page and so the headings will all change soon. Just been trying out new things I the back end, attempting to make navigation a lot simpler etc

5 hours ago, stonevibe said:

The site design is about to change, as have a bunch of new content creators coming to the page and so the headings will all change soon. Just been trying out new things I the back end, attempting to make navigation a lot simpler etc

have you tried GeneratePress +Premium +GenerateBlocks and WPShowPosts ? thank me later 😁

• Thanks 1