Why become a member? ×

Starting a guitar/bass blog need some help please

stonevibe

Hi everyone, I've just this week started a new guitar/bass blog and I am looking for feedback, suggestions. You may or may no know that I write all the guitar/bass news for Gearnews.com and that I play a little bit of bass, though to be fair I am predominantly a guitar player.

My new blog site is a personal labour of love, so no adverts or paid for articles, it is purely things that have caught my eye and that I would not write about on Gearnews. 

I need help (on so many levels) with design ideas, and article topics etc Plus, if you spot any glaring typos or mistakes, as I'm a two finger typist at best. If any smaller businesses would like to do something with me, like promote a new product or service, then feel free to get in touch via the site itself, as I have a contact page there.

The site is here, have spoke around and see if you can break anything. All feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I'm learning as I go. I've shared a few similar posts on some of my regular guitar haunts, but I need some bass player perspective as well. As I am planning to cover a lot more bass orientated subjects and not just guitar.

Thank you for reading and let me know what you think.

https://guitarbomb.com

Edited by stonevibe

6 minutes ago, stonevibe said:

...Thank you for reading and let me know what you think...

Good evening...

Just a detail, and it may be only me, but I won't look further into any site that doesn't have a 'Refuse all' button as well as an 'Accept' button for cookies. A shame; I'd have liked to have 'a poke around' (sic...). It looks smart, clean and interesting, but, to me, it's cheating to have all this 'cookie' stuff 'on' by default, with such a biais towards 'Accept'. Just sayin'; good luck with the venture. :friends:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, stonevibe said:

I've just checked and it shows up here in the UK now...

I rather think that we're at cross-purposes here. I can see the 'Accept' button, and may even be inclined to press it, but I believe it to be deontologically correct to have, equally visible, the alternative 'Refuse' button. I don't see such a button, and when I access the 'Cookie Policy' jungle, I get page after scrolled page of waffle, all of which masks the choice (if indeed there even is one in there...) of refusing. I do realise that sites, blogs and the like have to get revenue from somewhere, and I'm not against that. It's the sneakiness that I object to, that's all.
Hope this helps. :|

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right, I think I have an answer...

As my package is on Wordpress and hosted by them, I get access to the 'standard cookies' pop-up, which is the one shown in my screen shot.

Now, if I want to turn blog into a full on  'business' then I can upgrade my package and get access to the world of Wordpress Widgets, and amongst these are a myriad of GDPR type (though legally they still are in a grey area, as none will 100% guarantee to cover you) plugins/widgets.

So, do I pay a silly amount of money to have a Widget, which talks about data collection or do I just run a blog? Currently, I don't take any details, payments or details of anyone that visits my blog. Though, possibly one day I might start selling boutique strap buttons or fretboard snake oil...

If anyone here knows another way,  please do let me know, as I'm a guitar/bass player and not an expert on any of this.

And thank you to everyone that has already chipped in, as it is super useful and I really do appreciate the time you took to help me out. 

Edited by stonevibe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm interviewing a couple of very cool UK luthiers this week and they both do guitars and basses, so could be a really fun couple of days for me!

If anyone on here knows any interesting luthiers, pedal builders or any guitar/bass companies that would like some free exposure, then feel free to hit me up, and I'll attempt to get something happening on GuitarBomb.com for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Published my first Meet the Maker article today with an interview with Seth Baccus Guitars (he also makes basses, if you ask him nicely...).

The next one is already lined up with a luthier that makes some pretty awesome basses (and the odd guitar), so you can look out for that one sometime in the next fortnight.

Just wanted to add, thanks again for all your feedback and if any of you are luthiers and fancy doing an article, then get in touch. There is no charge, the site is completely non profit and not in the slightest commercial in any way shape or form.

It's just my place to write about and share really cool gear for musicians.

https://guitarbomb.com/2021/04/30/meet-the-maker-seth-baccus-guitars/

Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 13.51.32.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I don't have a dedicated writer for bass, so I just pick up the odd story here and there, currently. The Blast Cult interview for example, Jason makes double basses and bass guitars, for people that want to get that double bass tone.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2021 at 17:51, Dad3353 said:

I rather think that we're at cross-purposes here. I can see the 'Accept' button, and may even be inclined to press it, but I believe it to be deontologically correct to have, equally visible, the alternative 'Refuse' button. I don't see such a button, and when I access the 'Cookie Policy' jungle, I get page after scrolled page of waffle, all of which masks the choice (if indeed there even is one in there...) of refusing. I do realise that sites, blogs and the like have to get revenue from somewhere, and I'm not against that. It's the sneakiness that I object to, that's all.
Hope this helps. :|

A lot of web-sites (particularly if you are using pre-built stuff like word-press), actually require cookies to function. So if you refuse cookies the site wont be able to function for you. Nowt comes for free these days, you need to pay one way (cash to build your site properly) or the other (take the no cost upfront, but pay with data/ads)!

1 hour ago, sammybee said:

A lot of web-sites (particularly if you are using pre-built stuff like word-press), actually require cookies to function. So if you refuse cookies the site wont be able to function for you. Nowt comes for free these days, you need to pay one way (cash to build your site properly) or the other (take the no cost upfront, but pay with data/ads)!

All the sites I've visited with this new system have several buttons for cookie permissions, with 'essential' cookies greyed out, exactly so that the site may function correctly. Other cookies, such as sharing info with partners, or collecting stats, have the possibility of being refused. I'm not concerned with the financing of sites (blogs or whatever...); that's the remit of the site owner. I want to have an honest choice of what I'm paying for. As I've already posted, I may well accept all cookies, as long as there's a clear option to not do so. There's a principle here; i'm not against cookies, or sites, or blogs, but do prefer honesty to cheap tricks. Just sayin'; good luck with the blog. :friends:

• Like 1

The whole 'cookies' accepting thing is a right mess just about everywhere I look. The Gearnews site I work for has a similar option to GuitarBomb for example, as in 'Accept' but nothing else.

I did a load of research and found you can pay for a business account with Wordpress, which then allows you to add 'Widgets' which in turn you can add cookie widgets, with terms and conditions etc But they still don't offer the all the options and none of them will admit to liability for legal reasons. So a proper minefield for a blog writer like myself.

The EU legislation was well meaning, but the issue appears to be that no information I can find, agrees on what is legal and what is not. So you are left with a "What's legit and what's not?" question.

As far as I can see Google Analytics and any built-in analytics software will track where you are, and when you logged on. But as you aren't giving any information about yourself, as in name, address, banking details or signing up for services, then it is okay.

However, I'm happy to learn more, but no one I have talked with can give a straight answer on the topic.