Why become a member? ×

Twelve string bass with reverse triplets

Basvarken

I built a new Brooks bass!
The EXB-12-2PR (EXplorerBass - 12 string - 2 Pickups - Reverse strings triplets)
- Mahogany body
- Laminated Mahogany set neck. Glued in
- Black gloss finish
- Checkerboard binding
- Ebony fretboard
- Brassl position markers
- Nickel silver frets
- 34" scale
- Buffalo horn nut ?
- ETS twelve string brass bridge set. Gold plated
- Two spokewheel double action trussrods
- Carbon reinforcement strip in the neck
- Lace Alumitone Bass Bar in the neck position
- Lace Alumitone Bass Bar in the bridge position
- Switchcraft output. Gold plated
- 2 x Stacked volume/tone knob. Gold plated
- Pickup selector switch. Gold plated
- Gotoh GB 350 lightweight bass tuners. Gold plated
- Gotoh Stealth ST 31 guitar tuners. Gold plated
- d'Addario EXL 170 - 12  strings 
- Weight: 4.5 kg
Electronics circuit by Bas Becu.

brooks-exb-12-2pr-full-1500_orig.jpg
brooks-exb-12-2pr-1500_orig.jpg
brooks-exb-12-2pr-back-full1500_orig.jpg
brooks-exb-12-2pt-headstock-1500_orig.jp
brooks-exb-12-2pr-bridge1500_orig.jpg
brooks-exb-12-2pr-diagonal-body1500_orig
brooks-exb-12-2pr-headback1500_orig.jpg
brooks-exb-12-2pr-close-upper-horn1500_o
brooks-exb-12-2pr-tailshot-1500_orig.jpg

Pics of the build proces can be seen here:
https://www.enkoo.nl/brooks-exb-12-2pr.html

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Beautiful - not sure I would like the reverse on the 12 but a great looking thing. Although first time I saw it I thought that it was a screenshot of the outline selected in a graphics program with the selection showing!

Yeah, or it's stitched together 😉
The reverse triplets were done per special request.
The gentleman who I built it for is a finger style player. He wants to hit the octave strings first.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BassTool said:

Never seen one in the flesh, so I'm curious...😯

What's the best playing method for a 12 string? Plec or fingers?

Well, this is like he said, it is for someone who is playing fingerstyle, which means the strings are being played up, so the high strings are plucked before the low. The normal way round would be with a plectrum, which means you would hit the treble strings first on a downstroke. 

The best is whatever you want to do, although I suspect a plectrum is more common, with a lot of strings to cover.

One day I will get my 15 string :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickA said:

So the sonic difference to an 8 is?  I guess the higher tuned strings will never be quite in tune, so you'll get that "shimmer" of a 12 string guitar as well as the octave doubling. 

Exactly that. An 8 string is like the string with a harmonic, a 12 string is like a 12 string guitar, there is a shimmer and body caused by it never being quite the same note. It is actually quite different.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2021 at 23:02, Woodinblack said:

Well, this is like he said, it is for someone who is playing fingerstyle, which means the strings are being played up, so the high strings are plucked before the low. The normal way round would be with a plectrum, which means you would hit the treble strings first on a downstroke. 

The best is whatever you want to do, although I suspect a plectrum is more common, with a lot of strings to cover.

One day I will get my 15 string :D 

Will it be a bass with 3 strings per course (like a 12 string with a low B course) or will it be a bass with 5 strings per course, kinda like this:

HZZ5rTMH7WkQAIE2omVWU4wPoXZdEgZvQ8yRh_Qi

but with 5 string courses (maybe a ADG tuning, with 1 bass string per course, then 2 guitar strings tuned an octave up per course, then 2 more much lighter guitar strings tuned 2 octaves up per course)?

Either way it sounds wonderful, and a beast to play!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PlungerModerno said:

but with 5 string courses (maybe a ADG tuning, with 1 bass string per course, then 2 guitar strings tuned an octave up per course, then 2 more much lighter guitar strings tuned 2 octaves up per course)?

I meant a 5 string with 3 courses. I am not sure I would have the finger strength to hold down 5 strings at a time!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Basvarken said:

Yeah, you tune the octave strings slightly different from one another. This gives a rich /full sound.
If you'd tune them exactly the same it wouldn't sound as lively.
Quite like a piano indeed.

I've had a couple of 12s and a couple of 8s, and can confirm that the 'tuned slightly different' thing is very easy to achieve...unless you've got a very good tuner and about ten minutes to spare. By which time the audience is bored, the singer's apoplectic and the drummer's gone to the bar...

• Haha 2

On 18/04/2021 at 00:34, BassTool said:

What's the best playing method for a 12 string? Plec or fingers?

I think - but not sure any more - that Hamer's 12-string basses were available as eeE aaA ddD ggG as well as Eee Aaa Ddd Ggg models. The other was for plec players and the other... you know.

By the way, @Basvarken has built one fine instrument, thanks for the video and the pictures!

Edited by itu
  • Like 2