Why become a member? ×

Who do you go to gigs with?

Nail Soup

Mrs Soup will go with me to Tribute bands (AC/DC, Stones etc) or to a folk festival... but can't stand my main musical choices.

I go to an occasional Punk/New wave gig with the guys in the band.

Might go with my parents to a blues or something.

Apart from that I fly solo to most the gigs of the "6music" type bands which I love.

When I was in my band I rarely went to gigs as a punter as I was at them pretty much every weekend gigging, but now I’m not in my band anymore restrictions permitting I’ll go to a few when they’re back on and it will more than likely be on my own. I know so many people on the punk scene now it will only be on the journey there & back that I’ll be on my own anyway.

I normally go on my own, as it means I can set my own schedule - arrive early to catch the first band? Fine, wait until the kids are asleep before leaving and only see the headliner? Also fine. Band kinda sucks and I want to leave early? Just go.

That all being said, I've just bought tickets for Every Time I Die and The Bronx in January for me and a mate from work

I am happy to go to gigs alone. 

In general I will only go to gigs with people who are also fans of the band / artist, as everytime I have taken some one to a gig as an introduction to a band I have always felt a pressure for that person to have a good time. 

• Like 2

^ I know what ya mean...

Mostly with my eldest, now 16, we have been going to cover band and tribute type gigs at the local rugby club for a few years... Floyd, Queen, AC/DC, Zeppelin types plus a few blues players... they likes an out and some sounds with Dad... I''m happy for the times together, before they are off on their own.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

^ I know what ya mean...

Mostly with my eldest, now 16, we have been going to cover band and tribute type gigs at the local rugby club for a few years... Floyd, Queen, AC/DC, Zeppelin types plus a few blues players... they likes an out and some sounds with Dad... I''m happy for the times together, before they are off on their own.

I have a 6 year old son, I'm really looking forward to doing this with him, I understand that's completely contradictory to my last comment, but I'm hoping I will feel differently when it comes to him. 

• Like 1

Mrs Ubit is my constant gig buddy. She likes all the same music as me. In fact she likes even heavier metal than I do.We have an eclectic taste right enough and have enjoyed many varied gigs over the years.

• Like 1

No more for me, I think. 

I used to go to lots, and have been to some enjoyable gigs/seen some good stuff and have fond memories of it. Alas that it has been, at various times,  displaced by;

Own band commitments, preferring to play rather than watch others do it, lack of time, lack of money, work schedules etc. 

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

No more for me, I think. 

I used to go to lots, and have been to some enjoyable gigs/seen some good stuff and have fond memories of it. Alas that it has been, at various times,  displaced by;

Own band commitments, preferring to play rather than watch others do it, lack of time, lack of money, work schedules etc. 

I can understand this. I must admit I used to go to a lot more gigs, but pre covid, I had all the same reasons as you for going to fewer gigs. 

However I am going to make a conscious effort when gigs start again to go to more. I will mainly be focusing on smaller and emerging bands as my ticket money will make the biggest difference to them. 

• Like 1