Why become a member? ×

OBBMs new "Space Saving" Patch Leads

Maxcat

Like many of you here I use OBBM almost exclusively for all my cable requirements. He recently sent me a pair of his new Amphenol patch leads to give them a try out. Prior to being introduced to OBBMs gear, I was firmly in the camp of "any old patch leads will do, how much difference can it make anyway". Thankfully I have been converted and as I say dont use any other leads than his. Anyway on to the review.

The leads I have been trying out are both 300mm patch leads, one using a VanDamme cable and the other slightly slimmer Klotz La Grange cable ending in 2 right angled Amphenol connectors, although any length of lead can be made.

[b][/b]Features 9[[b][/b] Not a feature laden item, but space saving is worth a comment .On first inspection, the connectors dont seem to be very much smaller than the standard Neutrik connectors, but in reality, when fitted to a board, they do really save space. I think its to do with the bowed shape of the Neutriks, and in a tight pedal board, the space saved is really valuable, giving me more options for pedal placement. Check out the link to OBBMs post to see the comparison. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=38673&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=38673&hl=[/url]

[b][/b]Sound 10[b][/b] I have spent almost 30 years around jet engines so subtle audible nuances are almost lost on me, however I have to say that the clarity and depth of sound that these cables provide is a marked improvement to any of the mass produced patch leads that Ive used in the past. I ABd the cables with the standard OBBM Neutriks and to be honest, I couldnt tell much difference which to me is accolade enough.

[b][/b]Construction 10 [b][/b] As always OBBMs attention to build quality is without fault. I think the pedal would break before these gave up

[b][/b]Reliability 9 [b][/b] I have only been using these cables for a couple of months (hence 9), but through numerous gigs, board rebuilds and transportation, they have remained reliable and undamaged. I also base my assessment on the numerous OBBM cables and leads that I use, non of which has ever failed.

[b][/b]Customer Support 10 [b][/b] Excellent. Ordering is only a pleasant phone conversation away. Ive never returned anything to OBBM but he would undoubtedly sort out any problem that day.

[b][/b]Overall 10 [b][/b] The build quality, price, audible clarity, space saving properties and just good old fashioned friendly customer service mean that I would highly recommend these leads to any one looking for a high quality, bespoke, space saving patch lead.

I thank you