Why become a member? ×

Speakon Cables - what you using. ?

dmccombe7

5 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Apparently 14 AWG isn't great for power cords, because they're too stiff & cause issues, but the SJOOW 14 AWG pair that I used for SpeakON didn't seem stiff.

14 AWG refers to the overall size/area of the conductor. However a 14 AWG flexible cable comprises of multiple strands of finer wire. If it is a few thicker wires then the cable will be stiffer. If it's a lot of smaller wires then it will be more flexible.

In European terms this is normally indicated by a number and the size of the individual cores e.g: 

6 mm² CSA ,  84/0.3 mm will be alot more flexible than  6 mm² CSA , 7/1.04 mm

(note that in the "7/1.04 mm" part the size refers to the strand diameter)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

The last time I saw solid-conductor wire (not stranded) was in 1999.

Solid core is more suited to a fixed installation, where it's not subjected to constant flexing. Your house is probably wired with it.

• Like 1

That is exactly the last time I saw solid-conductor wire, in a home being built with wire that I had purchased.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned SJOOW wire, it's designed for use with power-tools.

that's the one to get for your speaker wire

Edited by Killed_by_Death
added the bit about SJOOW

10 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

The last time I saw solid-conductor wire (not stranded) was in 1999.

By a happy coincidence, it was with solid-core that I wired a pair of speakons to link a pair of footlight monitors for our rehearsal. These cabs are cabled using the '2+/2-' speakon pins, so I needed a non-standard (for us...) cable to link 'em, and solid-core was on hand. One day I'll have to open the cabs to swap to 1+/1- cabling, like all our other cabs, but, for now, the solid-core works. Just sayin'. ;)