Why become a member? ×

Speakon Cables - what you using. ?

dmccombe7

Having bought all my cables from Bassic-bits in last few years i now need a couple of spare Speakons and was wondering who everyone else is using these days ?

I liked the Heavy Duty feel of OBBM cables especially the Speakon to Speakon ones.

Any suggestions welcome.

Dave 

Just make 'em up yourself and save money. It's dead easy. No soldering needed and the screw terminals are clearly marked so you can't go wrong if you take a bit of care. Use proper Neutrik Speakons and decent cable - something like Van Damme or Sommer - and away you go.

• Like 3

I concur on making your own SpeakON cables, but with the caveat to ALWAYS use genuine Neutrik connectors & you should also buy a #1 PosiDriv bit for your screwdriver, because that's what they're designed for.

Don't take my word for it, ask the Design Engineer, @agedhorse.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
  • Like 1

I used to make all my own cables years ago and being from an Instrument and electronics background soldering and cabling isnt really a problem for me.

I'm just lazy these days and prefer to buy them especially when i only need one spare cable.

Dave

It's dead simple for me, because I can buy the wire online from Home Depot & then drive over to their store (5 miles) & pick it up.

They sell by the foot & it's under a buck/foot.

The only thing I have to wait for is the Neutrik connectors & TBH I 'could' get those today if I was willing to pay a high retail price to get them locally.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Andermtc said:

Bought some cheap ones when I set up with a new cabinet and they were rubbish and the connecter didn't always connect.

I did the same once, never again, they just fell apart , I don’t need that many so I just spend the extra on good ones and I don’t have to worry 

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Cleartone ones ordered 2 off at 2m length. Prices are excellent compared to elsewhere especially when using Van Damme cable with Pro Nuetriks. £13.50 each.

Cheers guys.

Dave

That’s great value dave 👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

I have used Award Session Cleartone cables for years and never had a problem

I saw the word "Cleartone" and was remainded of a well know modifier/improver of basses. Thought he'd diversified into cables for a moment...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, triplebass said:

just picked up a Vovox speaker cable and the sound is more transparent and clear. ordered another 2 - instrument and microphone. expensive? yes. can you hear the difference? YES

Not heard of them. Where did you buy them ?

Dave

9 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Now I really wish Aged Horse had joined us, to comment about super-expensive speaker-cables.

I have an opinion, based on facts about Electricity, that users of those will not enjoy, but I will keep it to myself.

All opinions welcome. If it helps people make a decision you should speak your mind.

Dave

• Like 2

9 hours ago, triplebass said:

just picked up a Vovox speaker cable and the sound is more transparent and clear. ordered another 2 - instrument and microphone. expensive? yes. can you hear the difference? YES

They start at £75.

How do they justify that price. 

I'll pass on them.

Dave