Why become a member? ×

WAL Mk2 5-String fretted....Withdrawn!
£5250
Munich/Germany

headless101

Hi everyone!

I have a Wal Mk2 5-String, that is living in the closet most of the time, so I’m considering to let it go, although it’s hard with such a beautiful instrument.
The body is made of Brazilian mahogany and the facings of African shedua, so it Iooks pretty awesome.

It was born in August 1987, and it’s still in a really good shape for its age.
It has the usual dents and scratches. I tried to document the major ones on the photos, like the scratches on the front and the bumps on the headstock - the classic one on the top of the headstock and another one on the back of it.
The damages are only cosmetic and have no negative impact on the playability, sound or function of the bass.
The bass sounds and plays great. It has been to the luthier recently, so it’s professionally set up and strung with new Dunlop 45-125 strings.
The frets have been serviced as well, so they are as new.  
The weight is ca. 5,2 kg.
I don’t have the original Wal case.

The bass is located in Germany / Munich. The best would be to see and to try it before buying, but most of prospective buyers will not have this opportunity, so I’m prepared to ship it. I know it got more complicated and also more expensive now for Buyers from UK and vice versa due to the VAT issues. Therefore, I assume the bass will rather find somebody in the EU, but who knows :) Money is important, but an easy and smooth transaction as well.

I’m not so much interested in trades as the only other basses I really love are the ones from Status (preferably S2 or S3). So, in case you have a spare one you can try :)

DSC_8238.jpg

DSC_8247.jpg

DSC_8250.jpg

DSC_8255.jpg

DSC_8256.jpg

DSC_8257.jpg

DSC_8259.jpg

DSC_8260.jpg

DSC_8263.jpg

DSC_8272.jpg

DSC_8277.jpg

Edited by MB1
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

This is so good looking yet the Mk1s are so ordinary

I like the MK1 shape myself. Neater and comfier to hold than the MK2.  The extra frets are nice to have though.

Love the centre stripe ... Looks like Wal built a through neck (which sadly they never have).

NB consider selling to the USA if no-one in the EU bites; their sales/import tax is lower than the UK's ( thanks Boris) and their Wal buyers seem to have very deep pockets.  This one sold for $8500 straight away ... and people said it was underpriced!

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/wal-mk1-1984-walnut.1511158/

This one's up for €6431 and Americans calling it a bargain.

https://www.woodstockguitars.dk/en/product/wal-custom-bass/

Edited by NickA

11 hours ago, NickA said:

I like the MK1 shape myself. Neater and comfier to hold than the MK2.  The extra frets are nice to have though.

Love the centre stripe ... Looks like Wal built a through neck (which sadly they never have).

NB consider selling to the USA if no-one in the EU bites; their sales/import tax is lower than the UK's ( thanks Boris) and their Wal buyers seem to have very deep pockets.  This one sold for $8500 straight away ... and people said it was underpriced!

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/wal-mk1-1984-walnut.1511158/

This one's up for €6431 and Americans calling it a bargain.

https://www.woodstockguitars.dk/en/product/wal-custom-bass/

Never had the chance to try the Mk1, but I guess you're right the Mk1 is comfier and probably lighter :) , although my favourite shape remains the Mk2. Thanks a lot for the hints especially regarding talkbass, I appreciate that very much! I visited talkbass some time ago and I had the same impression, so I'll consider indeed ...

The mark 2 five is the one bass i wish i hadn't sold......bought it brand new from Sound Control (Newcastle) it had a paduak top with blond stripe down the center....Cost £1400 new, sold it for £800....shows how long ago that was....Ah well !!!

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, headless101 said:

the Mk1 is comfier and probably lighter

I've a MK1 (well, a custom to be exact) and a MK2 5-string.  The difference in weight is tiny.  The MK2 body is fatter (to take a 5-string neck, I guess) but shorter too, and they balance the same. 

If you want 5-strings and/or 24 frets though...gotta be a mk2

• MB1 locked this topic
  • Bilbo unlocked this topic