Why become a member? ×

Bass designs from the 80s

uk_lefty

• 2 months later...
On 17/04/2021 at 11:15, PlungerModerno said:

kb3N5DA8D2mp5FcMw5Sjda-320-80.jpg&f=1&no

A real understated look - I think this is a different custom, probably a BC Rich judging by the headstock.

Pretty sure that’s a John Birch. Look at the pickup and shape. He did play a B C Rich Eagle on Heaven and Hell (and on tour when I saw them) and possibly Mob Rules though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4000 said:

Pretty sure that’s a John Birch. Look at the pickup and shape. He did play a B C Rich Eagle on Heaven and Hell (and on tour when I saw them) and possibly Mob Rules though. 

John Diggins/Jaydee made some too.

• Like 2

In the 80's there was a guitar - IIRC Lita Ford briefly endorsed it - which had a chunk of the body missing in front of where the neck joined the body.

The ads gave a lot of blurb about how this was better for sustain etc, but after the company folded it was admitted that the body shape was due to a lathing accident.

Anyone else remember this? I've tried searching but can't find any pics.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2021 at 13:28, MacDaddy said:

pbeat & j's: Michael Anthony – Drunk Bass Solo (1986)

'Look at me, I love Jack!  I'd have it on me fecking cornflakes, me!' 

The obsession with bourbon is about as 80s as the pointy basses here.  Oh, and I can't stand Michael Anthony either; he's like the 80s metal equivalent of Adam Clayton.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bartelby said:

"Even though the design was to have better access to the strings at the base of the neck, the true function of the Scoop was that it improved the instrument’s sustain and resonance properties. It eliminated phase cancellation between the neck and body resonance."

28 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

'Look at me, I love Jack!  I'd have it on me fecking cornflakes, me!' 

The obsession with bourbon is about as 80s as the pointy basses here.  Oh, and I can't stand Michael Anthony either; he's like the 80s metal equivalent of Adam Clayton.

A bit harsh I think. I’ve always had a lot of time for him. Any particular reason he’s not on your Christmas card list?

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

A bit harsh I think. I’ve always had a lot of time for him. Any particular reason he’s not on your Christmas card list?

I saw the Van Halen a couple of times early on (Rainbow, Finsbury Park) and then again at Donington in 1984.  Obviously, it was the Dave'n'Eddie show, but Michael Anthony always struck me as a square peg in a round hole.  That he was also disrespectful of DLR was just odd,  given that it was Roth (coming from an affluent Pasadena family) was effectively the driving force of Anthony's mealticket out of cover band mediocrity and baseball.  

Perhaps (as he was a salaried member), DLR and da-brudders just saw him as someone non-threatening.  I suppose all my rawk brethren considered him to be wholly underwhelming in the band too; don't know what they would have sounded with Billy Sheehan, for instance.