Why become a member? ×

Bass designs from the 80s

uk_lefty

I'm cooking up something in my mind that may become some kind of custom build, maybe. I love 80s music and have an 80s band starting up. I've owned the Hohner B2A cricket bat bass, I've got an 84 Aria Pro II SB ELITE-1, but what other bass designs from the 80s are very much of their time? There's a Yamaha bass with pointy bits, the Kubiki X Factor bass... Others? 

25 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

From memory the Jackson and Charvel brands were popular and Explorer and V shapes were common in rockier bands. The headless design was also popular but even the traditional staples like Jazz, Precisions and Music Mans were still in use.

True. When I bought my Stingray I didn't think it would be out of place in an 80s setting. 

57 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Not one of these?:
Roland_TB-303_Panel.jpg

Not in the early 80s.

When they came out no-one wanted them because they sounded thin and weedy, as well as being less than intuitive to program. My synth band tried one and decided we'd wait for the recently announced MC202, which looked to be easier to program, had two channels of sequencing and a full SH101 synth built in.

Come 1988 it was a different story...

(Of course much of the classic TB303 sound comes from what happens when you clip the output rather than the unit itself.)

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Wal mk1 fretless or MIDI but...who’s got £8000+ spare...not me

Forgot about Wals, I do t ha E expensive tastes! The whole concept of Midi just melts my brain, I don't get it, I just know string go twang.