Why become a member? ×

Is this a bit of a bargain?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m43.l1123/7?euid=e362121df359448c8a5f94f3a02b19f8&bu=43320445595&segname=11051&crd=20210414011235&osub=-1~1&ch=osgood&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F324414641506&sojTags=bu=bu,ch=ch,segname=segname,crd=crd,url=loc,osub=osub

A JV jazz 83, all original according to seller.  Seems like a bit of a deal given the way JV prices are headed, but perhaps others may disagree. Suspect it hasn’t sold because it’s hard to find on search. CIJ instead of JV in title etc. I’m NOT the seller and have no interest in the sale obvs!

Edited by Richard Jinman

3 hours ago, Richard Jinman said:

A JV jazz 83, all original according to seller.  Seems like a bit of a deal given the way JV prices are headed, but perhaps others may disagree. Suspect it hasn’t sold because it’s hard to find on search. CIJ instead of JV in title etc. I’m NOT the seller and have no interest in the sale obvs!

If you collect instruments purely as an investment I assume it probably is. Otherwise you could get something much better for less probably.

If these were £750/£800 more often I would give it a go.

I had an 83 Squier which was battered and modded - loved it. I know where it is and I’m still waiting for a “ok mate, I give up - you can have it back...”

It’s a nice looking thing, but as stated we’re spoiled for choice these days so £800+ can go far.

46 minutes ago, Nibody said:

Squiers can be fine instruments. But I will NEVER part with 700 for one. Emperors new clothes to me.

If it’s a good sounding/playing/well put together J type, it could say “mutton chops” on the headstock as far as I’m concerned - £700 isn’t astronomical, if it’s a Good instrument.

I’ve owned Yamaha’s from £100 worth to £3000 - the name on the headstock doesn’t mean much.

I sold a Squier Venus electric 12 for £800 About 7 years ago - god knows what I’d get for it now.

And it’s not emperors new clothes - it’s a nearly 40 year old instrument which was the predecessor of the current Fender Japan reissues which fetch £700+ The only “big” difference is a water slide decal on the headstock front.

🤷🏻‍♂️😉

• Like 1

I'd say yes it is - it looks to be in very good, original & unmolested order & JVs (admittedly usually Ps) tend to be listed in 4 figures these days, and typically not as clean as this one.

The 'Squier' word always seems to trigger a bit of sniffy indignation, even when attached to high-quality, sought-after & collectable instruments. But these will almost certainly continue to appreciate and to be base, you could make a couple of hundred from this one just by buying it & flipping it. Which is probably what someone (not me) will do.

Regarding quality as an absolute, realistically you could buy a £100 Harley Benton & with a bit of fettling & inexpensive upgrading make it play as well & sound as good as a JV, or any other standard J type. But that's not the point, as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

The 'Squier' word always seems to trigger a bit of sniffy indignation, even when attached to high-quality, sought-after & collectable instruments. But these will almost certainly continue to appreciate and to be base, you could make a couple of hundred from this one just by buying it & flipping it. Which is probably what someone (not me) will do.

As I said, as an investment it is fine.

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

As I said, as an investment it is fine.

Surely, there are times when a good investment is also a good, playable bass. At, say £750, I’d have no hesitation playing this jv and the fact it’s appreciating at the same time is just a bonus. 

Surely, there are times when a good investment is also a good, playable bass. At, say £750, I’d have no hesitation playing this jv and the fact it’s appreciating at the same time is just a bonus. 

indeed it can be, although at £750 I am sure there are many basses that are good playable basses for less. 

Problem with all these things (especially fender based things) is that it is very hard to tell if it is a real whatever it is supposed to be. If it is a good playable bass that costs £750 and then it turns out when you get it that it is a modified squier affinity with JV logos on it, would you still be as happy with it (after all it is just as playable).

13 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

If it’s a good sounding/playing/well put together J type, it could say “mutton chops” on the headstock as far as I’m concerned - £700 isn’t astronomical, if it’s a Good instrument.

I’ve owned Yamaha’s from £100 worth to £3000 - the name on the headstock doesn’t mean much.

I sold a Squier Venus electric 12 for £800 About 7 years ago - god knows what I’d get for it now.

And it’s not emperors new clothes - it’s a nearly 40 year old instrument which was the predecessor of the current Fender Japan reissues which fetch £700+ The only “big” difference is a water slide decal on the headstock front.

🤷🏻‍♂️😉

To clarify - I have absolutely no issue with Squiers. I own one and a half (the half being a bitser featuring a 1991 Korean Samick made neck that is equally as nice as any P bass I have owned - the other being a cort made 1996 P bass). Both of my Spectors are  "budget" models (MIK)- the three Warwicks I have owned the same (Rockbass), and the two Thunderbirds I had were both Epiphones (a Thunderbird IV MIK and a TBird Pro IV). Personally I think Fenders (and many other brands - don't get me started on Ric's) are overpriced too - for a mass produced instrument.

The nicest P bass I have owned was a parts built bass using new Fender parts, but because it was screwed together by a chap in the Midlands not a union shift worker in california it was deemed to be much less valuable (though in my humble opinion it walked both the 1976 I used to own and the 1993 MIJ 62RI Photoflame I also used to own). Seriously regret selling it.

The "Black Logo" first run MIM P bass I had  was also a magnificent bass - but "looked down on" because it wasn't "'a "propper" fender. If people are happy to spend upwards of £900 on one because it has a mystical JV serial number on it - thats their choice. To me it is very much "emperors new clothes". 

Edited by Nibody
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

indeed it can be, although at £750 I am sure there are many basses that are good playable basses for less. 

Problem with all these things (especially fender based things) is that it is very hard to tell if it is a real whatever it is supposed to be. If it is a good playable bass that costs £750 and then it turns out when you get it that it is a modified squier affinity with JV logos on it, would you still be as happy with it (after all it is just as playable).

That's true of course and a huge problem with buying stuff on eBay - particularly at the moment - is not being able to hold the thing and give it a thorough looking over. I'd be the first to admit I would have no idea if a bass was 100 per cent original. Guess that's why I love buying stuff here where every experience I've had has been good and you definitely get the feeling no one is going to dud you. 

• Like 1

That's true of course and a huge problem with buying stuff on eBay - particularly at the moment - is not being able to hold the thing and give it a thorough looking over. I'd be the first to admit I would have no idea if a bass was 100 per cent original. Guess that's why I love buying stuff here where every experience I've had has been good and you definitely get the feeling no one is going to dud you. 

The advantage here is even if someone was going to try and palm something of there would be a load of 'sorry, that isn't a 1973 P Bass, the screws are in the wrong place, or the controls are wrong', that they couldnt remove, whereas on ebay you can write that but it is up to the seller if it appears (and eBay wont' do anything fast).

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The advantage here is even if someone was going to try and palm something of there would be a load of 'sorry, that isn't a 1973 P Bass, the screws are in the wrong place, or the controls are wrong', that they couldnt remove, whereas on ebay you can write that but it is up to the seller if it appears (and eBay wont' do anything fast).

True, the depth of knowledge on here is terrifying. Eg: I’ll think you’ll find Fender began using left hand threaded screws in Autumn 1972 on models with a 5 in the serial number....

They are very nice instruments and are becoming more and more collectible as vintage Fender prices become unattainable for us mere mortals. The longest serving basses I own are both JVs - a Precision and a Jazz and I have not found a Jazz as good as my JV Squier of any brand or age. Keep in mind I had an early 80’s US Jazz when I bought it as a ‘spare’ and immediately decided the genuine Fender had to go! That was 34 years ago. 
One thing about the bass on eBay is that it is a later one (I’m unsure where the ‘only 16 sunburst models made’ claim in the ad comes from either, as ever refer to the ‘21frets’ website for all things JV). The bass has the none reverse machine heads and Allen key adjustable bridge saddles whereas there are reverse windings on mine like an early 60’s model and threaded bridge saddles with slot headed screws. A nice bass nonetheless- if it were nearer I’d offer him £700 cash. If it were an earlier model I’d snap it up at £800. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Jinman said:

Hi @ash as someone who’s interested in a jv jazz, but has never played one can you tell me a bit about the neck profile please? I’m used to the modern C shape so wondering if the 62 profile will feel ‘fat’ or more like a P just narrower? Thanks

My JV is much slimmer than the equivalent P bass. It’s a nice manageable neck not clubby or fat at all. The JV P Bass had a good neck too of course however if you are a fan of Jazz basses you can’t go wrong with the JV. 

20 minutes ago, ash said:

My JV is much slimmer than the equivalent P bass. It’s a nice manageable neck not clubby or fat at all. The JV P Bass had a good neck too of course however if you are a fan of Jazz basses you can’t go wrong with the JV. 

Thanks!

Just be aware there is an element of BS in the ad - ie: these basses didn’t come fitted with flat wound strings as stock and sunburst was a common finish.
Well worth asking if there is a manufacture date pencilled on the neck butt underneath where the truss rod screw is accessed. 

As ever have a look here for your JV questions....

http://www.21frets.com

Edited by ash

7 minutes ago, ash said:

Just be aware there is an element of BS in the ad - ie: these basses didn’t come fitted with flat wound strings as stock and sunburst was a common finish.
Well worth asking if there is a manufacture date pencilled on the neck butt underneath where the truss rod screw is accessed. 

As ever have a look here for your JV questions....

http://www.21frets.com

Yeah, I’d prefer to buy one on here. I love the one that Taz is selling... stripped back to natural finish, tort plate, but he’s firm at £1200 and not sure I can bring myself to spend that on a JV.

I enquired about this bass

Received few photos and in my opinion the neck it's warped from 1314 fret and up to the 21st 

I ve asked the seller for photos etc and I realised of the neck dive

Questioned him and he told me that there is buzz after 12cl fret

To be honest i wouldn't go anywhere near

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

I enquired about this bass

Received few photos and in my opinion the neck it's warped from 1314 fret and up to the 21st 

I ve asked the seller for photos etc and I realised of the neck dive

Questioned him and he told me that there is buzz after 12cl fret

To be honest i wouldn't go anywhere near

You'd definitely need to look at it in person. I guess this explains why it's £200+ less than the typical Ebay grifter price!