Why become a member? ×

BRUNO MARS / 'Jam' Artis - Uptown Funk / ISOLATED BASS

Bart Funk Bass

It sounds like one take to me as well. I think the playing is quite restrained as well. One of the rare occasions Mark Ronson had an up front role and mix for the bass guitar!! 😬

Edited by drTStingray
Correcting auto correct errors

Not sure you can tell if it's one take or not from that? Could easily be either in my opinion. 

This should also be shown to every wedding band bass player out there to show them what the main riff is.. It diesnt just go straight from d to g.. It flicks off the f onto the g! 

24 minutes ago, Elfrasho said:

And again, amazing how noisy the file is considering it's new (ish) music! 

It sounds too noisy to me. How do we know this is the original?

There seems to be a lot of unnecessary sliding around on the strings which I would certainly want at a minimum if it was me being recorded.

@hiram.k.hackenbacker I think the original has a lot of 'revving up' type slides on it.

Whats interesting is that even if the fills are punched in it is more than possible to reproduce this live without missing any of them - the bits of slapping and high unison fills with the brass all have a similar tone id say (however unless those brass parts were in place before the bass part was done - (and especially the high unison bit), you would think those bits were punched in). Conversely some of this could have been played and recorded live. 

Thanks for posting these @Bart Funk Bass - they're always really interesting. This one is played so much tidier than one or two of the late 70s/earlier 80s famous parts you've posted (notably Rock With You)!! 

Edited by drTStingray