Why become a member? ×

New Filter Day (3Leaf Wonderlove)

ped

I received this the other day. 

I’m a bit funny with filters. I love them but also find some of my favourites have a certain flaw which stops me using them. Mostly that’s when pushing the open envelope leads to a ‘whistling’ artefact instead of a squelch (like my fave FX25) or a loss of volume and/or huge spikes in sub bass (also the FX25!) 

I prefer a band pass filter generally, finding that they cut through the mix better and sound squishier when pushed. But then you need a clean mix too which you don’t always get. My recent adventures with a faulty Meridian Funk-U-Lator got me looking again and then this came up on Bc.

It strikes me as a hugely versatile filter. Normally I find a good filter has basically one setting that works with a given instrument, but this gives a lot of flexibility from the various switches/bands/sweep ranges. 

The thing is, this think ‘bubbles’ and sounds ‘wetter’ than anything else I’ve tried. Slapping an A string for example literally feels like I’m spanking a wet balloon. The resonance control lets things bounce about even more, all the while retaining the low end.

When pushed hard the filter wobbles and farts, making the useful range of the sensitivity control pretty me much from 0-100. Add to that control of the tone cutoff and you can really cook up some great sounds. 

Quick pic 

B0F321DD-FBCD-443C-98D4-F5513F906DA7.jpeg

It also works well from an external battery

Also I got an EHX bassballs again after selling mine years ago. Actually now I ‘get’ it and think it’s a great sound that works really well, especially with the distortion on. Having lots of fun with that. 

ped

• Like 4

I had one of these for years. It was great for synth sounds but I felt it lacked when using it on its own. The envelope detector response is a bit warbly too. His Chromatron is a definite improvement all round but they are hard to get right now as production is in limbo while he finds a new supplier for the housings. 

• Like 2

Just now, Quatschmacher said:

I had one of these for years. It was great for synth sounds but I felt it lacked when using it on its own. The envelope detector response is a bit warbly too. His Chromatron is a definite improvement all round but they are hard to get right now as production is in limbo while he finds a new supplier for the housings. 

I think I read your notes about this before I bought it. I find it spot on with my jazz - I love how the filter burbles as the note decays. I'd like to try the Chromatron and Proton at some stage. I've watched all the demos (of course!) and couldn't find a decent Wonderlove one but think the chromatin sounds a bit more clinical/accurate in the Zach Riser (Possibly spelt wrong) demo, although there's so many variables from type of instrument and playing style that you can only judge with your hands on the pedal I think. The Wonderlove certainly feels beautifully spongy and wet - I like that it kind of trips over itself sometimes.

Simply for myself his GR2 remains his best sounding filter to- date... So easy to Dial in usable sounds & I've owned his Protons & Wonderlove's..... he just kept adding functionality' to his later filters.. the Core Sounds & Wet  Squelch of the GR2  is the finest I've heard. 

Edited by paulo m
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, paulo m said:

Simply for myself his GR2 remains his best sounding filter to- date... & I've owned his protons & Wonderlove's..... he just kept adding functionality' the Core Sound & Squelch of the GR2  is the best I've heard. 

I’ve personally never played a GR2 but I’ve read accounts of players who loved theirs (also over the Wonderlove) but who said the Chromatron was even better. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’ve personally never played a GR2 but I’ve read accounts of players who loved theirs (also over the Wonderlove) but who said the Chromatron was even better. 

I an liikley one of those "players". Chromatron wins.

I spent a good hour playing with the pedal last night. I just love it in band pass with some dry mix. The boost is really useful too. Unlike loads of filters I’ve tried you can crank the sensitivity and it still makes a nice noise when pushing against the open door. Special highlights were high sensitivity with the Celinder and high resonance and the very opposite with the stingray with flats. I’m still finding the perfect sound for the P bass, hopefully will have some time later..

• Like 1