Why become a member? ×

The heretic thread approved by Roger Sadowsky or For those who pretend tone doesn't come from wood...

Hellzero

19 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

It's just weird & kind of rude, like walking into a room of folks having a discussion & saying:

"I know something about the subject, but I'm just going to poke fun for a minute & then leave!"

I think it’s a subject that’s been done to death so many times that I don’t bother to do more than acknowledge the latest thread’s existence, but I thank you for your continued commentary on my actions. 

Most of my tone comes from the amount and density  of beer I’ve had, no consumption I’ll agree it might be off, low consumption and it’s fine, medium consumption and your having a laugh, finally high consumption, bass down, I’m off the stage “I AM THE BAND!” 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bunion said:

Most of my tone comes from the amount and density  of beer I’ve had, no consumption I’ll agree it might be off, low consumption and it’s fine, medium consumption and your having a laugh, finally high consumption, bass down, I’m off the stage “I AM THE BAND!” 

As long as the bass works its fine ,, but still, if i had a right bunch of cash to have my own bass(es) made from scratch,?  i wood seriously multi test & check to make sure the wooden components were tailored to my preference,

i know plenty of players will say it don't matter & you cannot hear any difference ,, videos have been made to prove there is no difference ,, but it depends on what you are listening for ? ,, plus i heard there is a bit of musical science that backs up the importance of tailoring wooden components / metal parts too for your "perfect ish"  bass / guitar / piano ,, in fact any known instrument ,,

even tho, it is a splitting of hairs subject for many eg ,, all wine is basically the same right ? until you meet a sommelier of the highest order , 

i might do a video on this topic so guys can make their own minds up on the finest details on the importance of instrument construction in terms of stock tone & components ,, thanks

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

i might do a video on this topic so guys can make their own minds up on the finest details on the importance of instrument construction in terms of stock tone & components ,, thanks

Well,, good luck with that one,, my friend,, then you can get roasted for both suggesting that some people hear things differently to other people,, and also your,, choice unusual of order word,, and punctuation,,,,   🙂

• Haha 3

@Geek99 : What secret do you know about wood and tone that I might not know after 3 decades of never ending research, more than 300 basses owned and played, quite the same amount of amps, many gigs and concerts, a few recorded albums, having owned my own (little) recording studio, having recorded other musicians quite a lot and done so many experiments concerning tone, having built my own instruments and amps, having set up and repaired thousands of basses and amps, having exchanged a lot with top of the top electrical and classical luthiers ? Please.

You can, of course, PM me which would avoid starting again the whole shebang.

Please enlighten me.

That said, I'll take the cake and the party bag that you never gave me @ped... 😭

I thought I had made it clear that I no longer want to be involved in this topic, and fairly rapidly now, in much else on this site :(

i feel like that seal being chucked up out of the surf on David Attenborough’s Life on Earth 

Edited by Geek99
  • Confused 1

After reading through this thread quickly it's safe to say I have absolutely no idea at all what's going on, but I feel like I'm suffering some sort of really bad LSD flashback.

On the flipside though, I've found the bit starting from 18:35 in the original video the perfect example to use when someone asks why I really hate slap bass, so every cloud and all that.

Think some soothing Family Man basslines are much needed at this point...

• Like 2

Just wanted to check: I haven't read a single post in this thread, but I assume the conclusion was that tone definitely doesn't come from wood?   I mean, anyone who has spent more than three minutes of never ending research with a bass guitar would have to be pretty daft to think otherwise, right?

2 minutes ago, linear said:

Just wanted to check: I haven't read a single post in this thread, but I assume the conclusion was that tone definitely doesn't come from wood?   I mean, anyone who has spent more than three minutes of never ending research with a bass guitar would have to be pretty daft to think otherwise, right?

Them be fightin' words! Do you want the wenge fighting stick or the bubinga one? Both fight differently. 😜

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Them be fightin' words! Do you want the wenge fighting stick or the bubinga one? Both fight differently. 😜

Actually, I've brought my own - artisanally made from swedish mahogany and kiln roasted fightwood.  The guy who constructed it assures me the blend gives better reach at mid range.  He charges an extortionate sum for these, but he's been making them for thirty years without ever taking a break, so I've no reason to doubt him.

Just now, linear said:

Actually, I've brought my own - artisanally made from swedish mahogany and kiln roasted fightwood.  The guy who constructed it assures me the blend gives better reach at mid range.  He charges an extortionate sum for these, but he's been making them for thirty years without ever taking a break, so I've no reason to doubt him.

Have you ever considered going active... Klingon pain sticks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

@Geek99 : What secret do you know about wood and tone that I might not know after 3 decades of never ending research, more than 300 basses owned and played, quite the same amount of amps, many gigs and concerts, a few recorded albums, having owned my own (little) recording studio, having recorded other musicians quite a lot and done so many experiments concerning tone, having built my own instruments and amps, having set up and repaired thousands of basses and amps, having exchanged a lot with top of the top electrical and classical luthiers ? Please.

You can, of course, PM me which would avoid starting again the whole shebang.

Please enlighten me.

That said, I'll take the cake and the party bag that you never gave me @ped... 😭

Well, I’m impressed. You should have started this thread with that paragraph. Could have saved a whole load of grief!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Well,, good luck with that one,, my friend,, then you can get roasted for both suggesting that some people hear things differently to other people,, and also your,, choice unusual of order word,, and punctuation,,,,   🙂

i get cooked not because of what I say, its my presentation ,, & yes , its years of drum programming ,, :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, I’m impressed. You should have started this thread with that paragraph. Could have saved a whole load of grief!

very simple stuff,, its so slight people overlook it , & its so micro its not noticeable , ever ,but once you know it ,, it "can" stick out like a sore thumb ,

if i was getting an expensive  bass hand made i would request or try to get those preferences in the final build ,,

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

very simple stuff,, its so slight people overlook it , & its so micro its not noticeable , ever ,but once you know it ,, it "can" stick out like a sore thumb ,

if i was getting an expensive  bass hand made i would request or try to get those preferences in the final build ,,

Please open up your thoughts, this gets interesting.

• Hellzero changed the title to The heretic thread approved by Roger Sadowsky or For those who pretend tone doesn't come from wood...