Why become a member? ×

The heretic thread approved by Roger Sadowsky or For those who pretend tone doesn't come from wood...

Hellzero

1 minute ago, Hellzero said:

I can say I'm lucky they don't burn heretics these days...

But heretics are, well after their trial and burning, judge again and rehabilitated as they were right.

So burn me, but remember not to let me in. :biggrin:

It’s better to burn heretics with alder... gotta get the density and resonance right to get that spark.

• Haha 2

In case anyone had wondered, I am positive that the wood can make a difference in the timbre, I've witnessed it myself & I'm damn near tone-deaf, so if I can hear it,,,

Related or Adjacent, the Finish can even make a difference, Poly vs. Lacquer, & I also firmly believe that the less finish there is on there, the better it will sound.

(also derived from my first-hand experience)

I'm still miffed that Geek99 drops in to comment they're no longer following w/o even sharing an opinion or their experience, but to imply they do have experience. Weird!

I think it's wonderful so many of us can have such widely differing views - it makes for healthy debate - although as always, it's very obvious so many are wrong 😂 😬😧👍 

A tone and wood related thing that's always really perplexed me - as some of you know, I've been around for a while and clearly remember people who should've known putting forward the view back in 1975 (and I'm really paraphrasing here) that an alder/rosewood combination from 1962 was that much better than a 5 yr old combination on the same instrument model - as a bit of a rebellious (almost) teenager I thought this was complete bo**ocks - I understand these days people say the same thing and I must say I still can't hear any vast difference (perhaps the electrical bits have deteriorated this giving a 'mellower' sound - however I understand the proponents now state it's because the wood has dried out etc etc. Not sure what the difference was in 1975 as such instruments were only 13 yrs old then!!! So I haven't changed my mind after all these years on this subject 😂😂

Now put a maple board and ash body on the same type of bass - yes I can hear the difference then!!!! 

Just a little anecdote to assist the naysayers 😏

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I think it's wonderful so many of us can have such widely differing views - it makes for healthy debate - although as always, it's very obvious so many are wrong 😂 😬😧👍 

A tone and wood related thing that's always really perplexed me - as some of you know, I've been around for a while and clearly remember people who should've known putting forward the view back in 1975 (and I'm really paraphrasing here) that an alder/rosewood combination from 1962 was that much better than a 5 yr old combination on the same instrument model - as a bit of a rebellious (almost) teenager I thought this was complete bo**ocks - I understand these days people say the same thing and I must say I still can't hear any vast difference (perhaps the electrical bits have deteriorated this giving a 'mellower' sound - however I understand the proponents now state it's because the wood has dried out etc etc. Not sure what the difference was in 1975 as such instruments were only 13 yrs old then!!! So I haven't changed my mind after all these years on this subject 😂😂

Now put a maple board and ash body on the same type of bass - yes I can hear the difference then!!!! 

Just a little anecdote to assist the naysayers 😏

Now that is an interesting take on the subject. Just what exactly is it that makes vintage fenders so sought after, if indeed the wood doesn't matter... 

23 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Now that is an interesting take on the subject. Just what exactly is it that makes vintage fenders so sought after, if indeed the wood doesn't matter... 

They were so crāp that most of them got thrown away, so they're very rare.

• Haha 2

On 17/04/2021 at 13:57, Killed_by_Death said:

In case anyone had wondered, I am positive that the wood can make a difference in the timbre, I've witnessed it myself & I'm damn near tone-deaf, so if I can hear it,,,

Related or Adjacent, the Finish can even make a difference, Poly vs. Lacquer, & I also firmly believe that the less finish there is on there, the better it will sound.

(also derived from my first-hand experience)

I'm still miffed that Geek99 drops in to comment they're no longer following w/o even sharing an opinion or their experience, but to imply they do have experience. Weird!

I came back to see if things had improved but I was wrong. I’m unsure why your state of miff with me continues. I didn’t realise I was that important.... 

3 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

It's just weird & kind of rude, like walking into a room of folks having a discussion & saying:

"I know something about the subject, but I'm just going to poke fun for a minute & then leave!"

Not really. On Basschat we send them on their way with a piece of cake and a party bag

• Haha 5

• Hellzero changed the title to The heretic thread approved by Roger Sadowsky or For those who pretend tone doesn't come from wood...